Data provided by Applied Health
side effects, nutrient depletions, herbal interactions and health notes:
• Separate zinc supplements by at least 2 hours from folic acid.1
• Vitamin B12 levels may be affected with long term folic acid use, monitor levels.2
• Avoid smoking.3
• Folic acid metabolism may be inhibited by deficiencies in pyridoxine, vitamin C and E.4
• There are many drugs which may decrease folic acid levels in the body. Some examples are: antibiotics, anticonvulsants, azulfidine, barbiturates, antituberculosis and others.5
• There are no herbal considerations at this time.6
References1 Pronsky, Z Food Medication Interactions, 11th edition, 1999
2 Facts and Comparisons, Clinisphere 2.0, Wolters Kluwer Company, 2000
3 Facts and Comparisons, Clinisphere 2.0, Wolters Kluwer Company, 2000
3 Pronsky, Z Food Medication Interactions, 11th edition, 1999
4 Pronsky, Z Food Medication Interactions, 11th edition, 1999
5 Facts and Comparisons, Clinisphere 2.0, Wolters Kluwer Company, 2000
5 Holt, G Food and Drug Interactions: Revised and Expanded edition, Precept Press, 1998
5 McKevoy GK, ed. AHFS Drug Information. Bethesda, MD: American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, 2000.
Want more special reports like this e-mailed to you when they're available? Click here for free e-mail alerts.
Share this Special Report by linking to it
Copy and paste the following HTML code into any web page:
The information in Drug Watch is provided as a courtesy to NewsTarget readers by Applied Health Solutions in cooperation with Healthway Solutions. Although the information is presented with scientific references, we do not wish to imply that this represents a comprehensive list of considerations about any specific drug, herb or nutrient. Nor should this information be considered a substitute for the advice of your doctor, pharmacist, or other healthcare practitioner. Please read the disclaimer about the intentions and limitations of the information provided on these pages. It is important to tell your doctor and pharmacist about all other drugs and nutritional supplements that you are taking if they are recommending a new medication. Copyright © 2007 by Applied Health Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.