(Natural News) People who often feel anxious and have difficulties sleeping may find lavender oil to be beneficial. A study published in the journal Holistic Nursing Practice revealed that inhaling lavender oil can help relieve sleep and anxiety problems, especially in hemodialysis patients. This study provides promising information on the effect of lavender as one of the best non-drug interventions for sleep and anxiety problems.
The study, which was carried out by researchers from Erciyes University in Kayseri, Turkey, focused on analyzing the effect of inhalation of lavender oil on hemodialysis patients’ anxiety level and sleep quality. Hemodialysis patients often suffer from sleep problems and anxiety because of physical symptoms, lifestyle changes, and psychosocial changes.
For the study, the researchers recruited 34 hemodialysis patients who have been on hemodialysis treatment at two dialysis centers. Then, they divided the participants into two groups: a treatment group and a control group. Participants in the intervention group put two drops of lavender oil into a box and placed it 15 to 20 centimeters (cm) away from their pillow. They did this 30 minutes before going to bed for a week. On the other hand, the control group did not receive any treatment. All participants also completed surveys and went through a face-to-face interview.
The results of the study revealed that those who inhaled lavender oil reported improvements in their sleep quality compared to the control group. They also experienced less daytime sleepiness, which was reflected in their daytime sleepiness scores that declined. Moreover, the mean anxiety score of the treatment group was significantly different than that of the control group.
Based on these findings, the researchers concluded that inhaling lavender oil may help improve sleep problems and anxiety, especially in hemodialysis patients.
Other uses for lavender oil
While lavender oil is well-known for its relaxing effects on the body, it is a very versatile oil. Here are some of its benefits and how to use it:
- It can help you calm down: The scent of lavender oil has a calming effect. To use, rub two to three drops of lavender oil on your palms, then use the inhalation method to draw its scent. After that, rub the oil on your feet, temples, wrists, or any part of your body for an immediate calming effect on the body.
- It can help relieve a bee sting or an insect bite: You can use lavender oil to treat a bee sting or an insect bite. It can stop the itching and reduce swelling. Just put a drop of the oil on the affected area.
- It can help treat a minor burn: Applying two to three drops of lavender oil on a minor burn can reduce the pain, redness, and swelling.
- It can be used to treat minor cuts: Lavender oil can be a remedy for minor cuts. Just put a drop of lavender oil on the affected area to stop bleeding, clean wound, and kill bacteria. (Related: Not just for sleep, lavender oil helps wounds heal faster too.)
- It can help treat certain skin conditions: Lavender oil can be used as a remedy for a skin condition like eczema, which is a condition that makes the skin red and itchy. To use, combine several drops of lavender oil with a nut or vegetable mixing oil such as coconut or sesame. Then, apply the mixture on the affected skin area.
- It can alleviate motion sickness: To use as a remedy for motion sickness, put a drop of lavender oil on the end of your tongue, behind your ears, or around the navel.
Read more news stories and studies on the health benefits of lavender oil by going to EssentialOils.news.