(Natural News) Vegetable and fruit juices have risen in popularity over the last few years because of their many health benefits. Now that there are so many options to choose from it can get a bit overwhelming, especially if you’re new to the juicing scene. Not to mention that the taste of some of these recipes are not very pleasant and can easily turn you off from trying out other juices. One recipe that is great for those who want to give juicing a try is beet juice because it provides many health benefits but still has a very appealing taste.
Beets, which are abundant in Asia, North Africa, and Europe, are known for their sweet taste and high nutritional content. They contain large amounts of vitamin C, folate, manganese, potassium, magnesium, iron, fibers, and a variety of phytonutrients. These bioactive compounds contribute to the many health benefits of beets and beet juice, which include the following:
- Preventing chronic inflammation — Although inflammation is generally good for the body, too much of it can prevent cells from functioning properly. Moreover, chronic inflammation increases the risk of various conditions such as cancer, heart disease, rheumatism, diabetes, obesity, asthma, and Alzheimer’s. Fortunately, drinking beet juice effectively reduces inflammation due to the presence of betaine pigments.
- Eliminating toxins from the body — Beet juice helps the liver and kidneys eliminate harmful substances from the body. It works by promoting the binding of degraded toxins to molecules that are for excretion. Moreover, beet juice also provides the immune system with the nutrients it needs to protect the body from pathogens.
- Lowering blood pressure — High blood pressure is one of the most prevalent health problems in the world but it is easily remedied. Drinking one glass of beet juice effectively improves this condition in just a few hours. This is because beets are rich in nitrates that stimulate the relaxation of blood vessels to improve blood flow and reduce the pressure on your heart. However, these effects can only last up to six hours so if you’re aiming for long-term improvements then you should drink beet juice regularly.
- Reducing the risk of cancer — The phytonutrients responsible for the unique color of beets contribute to the vegetables’ ability to prevent tumor formation and growth, especially in patients with breast, pancreatic, and prostate cancers. These compounds work by neutralizing unstable cells and free radicals in the body. Moreover, beet juice also increases the oxygen intake of cells and reduces acidity, which creates an environment that isn’t conducive to cancer cell growth.
- Boosting energy and endurance — Studies show that drinking beet juice increases endurance by up to 16 percent due to the presence of nitrates, which promote energy production and oxygen use. This is great especially for athletes who want to be in top shape during a competition. To utilize the full energy boosting potential of beet juice, make sure to drink it two to three hours before you need it since this is when nitrate levels peak.
These are just some of the many health benefits of drinking beet juice, so go ahead and give your body some love by drinking some beet juice today. (Related: Beets juice detoxifies liver, colon, boosts brain & improves circulation! How to prepare it?.)
Beet juice recipes
Although most people start drinking juices with just one ingredient, you can also try combining beets with other fruits and vegetables if you want to be a little daring. Different mixtures will have different effects on your body so you can choose juices that can provide you with what you need. Below are some combinations that you might want to try out:
- Beets and lemons — Adding a few pieces of lemon to your beet juice will increase its vitamin C content and give your immune system a boost.
- Beets, Cucumber, and ginger — Feeling tired? Then this drink is perfect for you. The combination of beets, cucumber, and ginger will surely give you the energy boost you need to face the day.
- Beets and berries — Separately, these ingredients can already do wonders for cleansing your liver, what more when you put them together?
For more articles about the health benefits of vegetable juices, visit Food.news