(Natural News) Acupuncture is the ancient Chinese practice of inserting hair-thin needles into the skin to stimulate different body parts. As a form of alternative medicine, it does not directly cure any disease; but can help alleviate symptoms and side effects. Acupuncture is a safe alternative treatment with many health benefits, such as reducing inflammation in your respiratory system.
The human body needs the respiratory system to breathe. It encompasses the lungs, breathing muscles, air passages and pulmonary vessels. These body parts all work together every minute of the day to ensure the supply of oxygen is distributed to your bloodstream and exchanged with carbon dioxide. They do a tireless but vital job in keeping you alive, so it is only logical that anything that disrupts their flow can cause you great discomfort. Thankfully, acupuncture can also help with pain relief. (Related: Acupuncture has been clinically proven to reduce pain.)
Acupuncture treatments for respiratory issues
Many respiratory ailments such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and allergic rhinitis are caused by inflammation of the different respiratory parts. Our organs become swollen and inflamed when they are exposed to irritants in the air. The air we breathe is filled with invisible pollutants, allergens, fumes, dust particles and much more. Even as we take in life-giving oxygen, who know what other harmful substances we could be breathing in at any moment? Fortunately, the proper application of acupuncture has anti-inflammatory properties. Here are some ways it can help alleviate respiratory problems:
|Discover how to prevent and reverse heart disease (and other cardio related events) with this free ebook: Written by popular Natural News writer Vicki Batt, this book includes everything you need to know about preventing heart disease, reversing hypertension, and nurturing your cardiac health without medication. Learn More.|
- Allergies — Allergies occur when the body is exposed to particular substances that cause allergic reactions. Acupuncture reduces the body’s physical response to these substances. Over the course of multiple acupuncture sessions, the body’s reactions to the allergens can be effectively controlled or lessened.
- Asthma — One of the causes of asthma is the inflammation of the airways. Specific acupuncture pressure points can be used to activate anti-inflammatory agents while easing the muscles that affect the sympathetic nervous system. Just like with allergens, acupuncture can be used to decrease the body’s sensitivity to cold air. With proper long-term treatment, acupuncture can alleviate both exercise-induced and cold-induced asthma. It also boosts the adrenal function, while improving the respiratory system’s overall health.
- Bronchitis — Bronchitis occurs when viruses, bacteria, or chemicals cause the bronchi to become swollen. It is then accompanied by other symptoms such as cough and colds. With proper acupuncture treatment, the swelling and cough reflex can be reduced. It can also aid the healing of the epithelium in the airways.
- Emphysema — Emphysema is a lung condition wherein the alveoli or air sacs in the lungs become damaged. This causes the lungs to have large balloon-like structures that reduce the surface area of the lungs, resulting in less oxygen being carried to the bloodstream and difficulty in breathing. Acupuncture can improve respiration and daily functions. Emphysema often comes hand-in-hand with bronchitis.
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease — Bronchitis and emphysema are two conditions that often lead to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. As a systemic disorder, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease deals with vital functions of the entire body, not just the respiratory system. To alleviate this, acupuncture can support the respiratory, adrenal, and immune systems, effectively controlling any aggravation caused by the impairment of any of these. Acupuncture can also supplement traditional medicine in improving the immune system to aid in the healing process.
While acupuncture has many uses and benefits, self-application of acupuncture is highly discouraged, especially if you have any underlying conditions. Remember to consult with your licensed acupuncturist to find the best treatment for your needs.
If you want to learn more about the health benefits of acupuncture and other healing arts, you can read more by visiting HealingArts.news.