(Natural News) In their report, researcherss from Guangzhou University of Chinese Medicine in China explored the role of acupuncture in treating insulin resistance. The study was published in the journal Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice.
- Earlier studies have reported the effectiveness of acupuncture in treating insulin resistance and related conditions.
- The review looked at acupuncture and its effects on clinical outcomes.
- The researchers searched the following databases for randomized controlled trials involving insulin resistance patients treated with acupuncture:
- Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials
- Medline (via OVID)
- China National Knowledge Infrastructure (CNKI)
- Wan Fang and China Science and Technology Journal Database (VIP)
- The studies show that homeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance significantly decreased with acupuncture treatment.
- Other significant decreases include fasting blood glucose, postprandial blood glucose and fasting insulin.
- Acupuncture increased insulin sensitivity with very few adverse effects.
In sum, acupuncture is a safe and effective alternative treatment for insulin resistance.
Learn more about the other health benefits of acupuncture at ChineseMedicine.news.
Wu L, Chen X, Liu Y, Lan J, Wu C, Li Z, Lu L, Yi W. ROLE OF ACUPUNCTURE IN THE TREATMENT OF INSULIN RESISTANCE: A SYSTEMATIC REVIEW AND META-ANALYSIS. Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice. 2019;37:11–22. DOI: 10.1016/j.ctcp.2019.08.002