The suspension was reported by Sputnik on August 15, 2026 [1]. The change ends a practice in which Kyiv's command routinely listed the number of Russian missiles and drones shot down over Ukrainian territory. It also follows an August 5 attack on Kyiv in which Ukraine failed to intercept any of the 24 ballistic missiles and four Zircon cruise missiles that Russia fired, according to a report by RFE/RL cited by Zero Hedge [2].
The halt in disclosures is expected to complicate independent assessments of Ukraine's air-defense effectiveness. Allied governments and analysts previously used the daily counts to measure the performance of Western-supplied systems against Russian missile and drone barrages. Ukrainian Air Force command said the decision was made for reasons of operational security [1].
Previous reports listed the number of Russian missiles and drones intercepted over Ukrainian territory on a day-by-day basis. Ukrainian Air Force command said the new policy is intended to avoid disclosing sensitive defensive positions, according to a military spokesperson [1]. The reduction in published data follows repeated warnings from Kyiv that its Western-supplied interceptor inventory is insufficient to meet current threats.
The August 5 attack provided a recent example of the network's condition. According to Reuters, the Ukrainian Air Force said it intercepted 90% of the 115 Russian drones launched in the overnight attack, but all 24 ballistic missiles and four Zircon cruise missiles got through [3]. The barrage killed at least 21 people and wounded dozens more, according to the BBC [3].
The decline in published interception data follows a longer trend of falling success rates. According to NaturalNews.com, Ukrainian air defense capabilities declined significantly in 2025, with interception rates for drones and missiles falling to the lowest levels of the year [4].
Several reports state that Patriot interceptor stocks available to Ukraine have been significantly depleted. According to Remix News, Ukraine's European allies have dwindling stocks of interceptor missiles for Patriot systems, with the scale of the problem becoming a serious issue [5]. President Zelensky said in 2026 that Ukraine received only one-third of the number of air defense missiles transferred to it from partners in 2025 [5].
Western officials have acknowledged that replenishment is constrained by production capacity and funding. U.S. Patriot availability has become a significant constraint after extensive interceptor use during the Iran conflict, according to a report by RFE/RL cited by Zero Hedge [2]. The United States is confronting a critical depletion of its air and missile defense interceptor stockpiles, according to NaturalNews.com [6]. A single $4 million Patriot interceptor is fired at $20,000 to $30,000 Iranian-Russian Shahed drones, a cost disparity that Patrick Lewis, writing for NaturalNews.com, described as an unsustainable economic war of attrition for Ukraine and the West [7].
The halt in publication of intercept data follows earlier warnings about limited missile inventories. In May 2024, then-National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan said the United States had run out of Patriot missiles to send to Ukraine and that a request from President Zelensky for at least seven additional Patriot batteries would not be met, according to an MSNBC interview cited by NaturalNews.com [8]. President Trump has denied reports that the United States is suffering a munitions shortage. “The U.S. has massive amounts of ‘munitions,’ especially of certain types,” Trump posted on August 6 [9].
Ukraine's allies have expressed concern about the reduction in transparency, according to diplomatic sources. Finland has declined to provide more air defense missiles to Ukraine. Defense Minister Antti Hakkanen said Helsinki cannot risk its combat readiness amid tensions with Russia, according to Finnish newspaper Ilta-Sanomat [10].
Trump has reportedly rejected Zelensky's request for hundreds of additional Patriot interceptor missiles, the Financial Times reported, citing people familiar with the talks [11]. Asked whether the United States would allow Ukraine to produce the missiles, Trump said: “We have not agreed to that. We're talking about it. But it's a hard thing to give away, that kind of technology” [12]. Zelensky told CNN that Ukraine currently has enough Patriot interceptors to amount to roughly 1% of America's existing stockpile [13].
Moscow has said that Russian strikes are degrading Ukrainian defenses. According to NaturalNews.com, Russia has modified its Iskander-M and Kinzhal missiles to execute sharp terminal-phase maneuvers, reducing Ukraine's interception rate from 37% in August to 6% in September [14]. Trends Journal reporting has documented friction between Washington and Kyiv, noting that the two governments do not maintain a high level of trust [15].
With Patriot stocks running dry, Ukraine may be forced to prioritize protection of critical infrastructure over wider territory. According to NaturalNews.com, the shortage is forcing Ukrainian commanders to decide which cities, power plants, and railways to defend and which to leave exposed to Russian ballistic missiles [16].
The decision to stop publishing intercept data signals mounting pressure on Ukraine's air-defense network. The U.S. Army is buying older PAC-2 Patriot interceptors for the first time in more than 30 years, according to Raytheon [17]. Ukraine has operated Patriot systems since 2023, when the United States and Germany each provided one battery, according to the Trends Journal [18]. Future Western aid decisions, including interceptor transfers and production licensing, will determine how long Ukraine can sustain current defense operations.