(Natural News) In this study, researchers from the University of Minnesota looked at the immunomodulatory activities of Echinacea purpurea (purple coneflower). Their findings were published in the Journal of Medicinal Food.
- Traditional healers have used E. purpurea for years to treat various illnesses.
- Its health benefits when it comes to the immune system, however, have not been fully explored.
- The researchers looked at E. purpurea root extract and its effects on concanavalin A (ConA)-activated murine splenocytes.
- They also investigated E. purpurea root extract’s effect on the production of cytokines, such as interferon-gamma, interleukin-2 and tumor necrosis factor, in these cells.
- The researchers found that E. purpurea root extract did not impact splenocyte survival and interleukin-2 production.
- However, treatment with the extract increased interferon-gamma cytokine levels and the number of ConA-activated splenocytes.
In sum, E. purpurea root extract has potential immunomodulatory benefits.
Learn more about other herbal treatments at NaturalMedicine.news.
Cadiz MP, Schara MR, Kemp BH, Gibbons Johnson RM. ECHINACEA PURPUREA ROOT EXTRACT INCREASES TUMOR NECROSIS FACTOR PRODUCTION BY CONCANAVALIN A-ACTIVATED MURINE SPLENOCYTES. Journal of Medicinal Food. 2019;22(11):1146–1150. DOI: 10.1089/jmf.2019.0065