(Natural News) Researchers from India designed a randomized clinical study to evaluate the effectiveness of darchini (cinnamon) in managing polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). The results of their study were published in the Journal of Herbal Medicine.
- PCOS is a complex syndrome that affects 15 percent of women of reproductive age.
- Due to the lack of standard therapy for PCOS, the researchers decided to conduct a clinical study to evaluate the effects of cinnamon treatment.
- The randomized, single-blind, controlled trial involved women aged 18 – 42 who fulfilled the Rotterdam criteria for PCOS.
- The test participants received 1.5 grams of powdered cinnamon bark in capsule form twice a day, while those who belonged to the control group received 500 milligrams of metformin twice a day for 60 days.
- Changes in fasting blood sugar levels, resumption of normal menstrual cycle pattern and ovulation were considered the primary outcomes, while changes in body mass index and waist/hip ratio were considered the secondary outcome measures.
- The researchers observed a marked improvement in the menstrual cycle pattern of 51.9 percent of the participants in the test group and 61.3 percent in the control.
- However, neither cinnamon nor metformin improved any of the participants’ insulin resistance.
- The researchers also found that post-ovulatory progesterone values at baseline and outcome remained the same for both the test and the control groups.
- On the other hand, they observed remarkable changes in the ovarian size, as well as complete amelioration in six participants from the control group and seven participants from the test group.
- Cinnamon improved the menstrual pattern of the participants in the test group. It was also well-tolerated.
Based on these results, the researchers concluded that, despite the small metabolic and hormonal changes it induced, cinnamon therapy may be clinically useful for treating menstrual disturbances and can be used as an alternative therapy for the management of PCOS.
Read the full study at this link.
Khan AA, Begum W. EFFICACY OF DARCHINI IN THE MANAGEMENT OF POLYCYSTIC OVARIAN SYNDROME: A RANDOMIZED CLINICAL STUDY. Journal of Herbal Medicine. March 2019;15:100249. DOI: 10.1016/j.hermed.2018.11.005