(Natural News) In this article, researchers from different universities in Hong Kong and China summarized recent studies and discussed the discovery of natural anti-biofilm agents from plants. Their review, which focused on herbs with both known and unknown bioactive ingredients and mechanisms of action, was published in the journal Chinese Medicine.
- Biofilm is defined as a natural form of bacterial growth that is ubiquitous in the environment.
- When microorganisms form biofilms, they develop resistance to negative environmental influences such as antibiotics and antimicrobial agents.
- Quorum sensing (QS) is a mechanism used by cells to communicate with each other. QS plays an important role in biofilm development and balances the environment when bacteria density becomes high.
- Because biofilms are implicated in infectious diseases and the spread of multi-drug resistance, there is an urgent need to discover new antibacterial agents that can regulate biofilm formation and development.
- According to the researchers, the results of many studies indicate that bioactive ingredients from plants have antimicrobial and chemo-preventive properties which allow them to modulate biofilm formation.
- The researchers also discussed the development of new techniques for the extraction and identification of natural anti-biofilm substances from plants.
- They also highlighted anti-biofilm therapeutic substances that are currently undergoing clinical trials.
The researchers believe that these newly discovered natural anti-biofilm agents are promising candidates that can provide novel strategies for treating biofilm-related infections in humans.
Read the full article at this link.
Lu L, Hu W, Tian Z, Yuan D, Yi G, Zhou Y, Cheng Q, Zhu J, Li M. DEVELOPING NATURAL PRODUCTS AS POTENTIAL ANTI-BIOFILM AGENTS. Chinese Medicine. 20 March 2019;14(1). DOI: 10.1186/s13020-019-0232-2