(Natural News) Your body requires a certain amount of water every day to stay properly hydrated, but what if you could take regular water a step further? You’d be surprised how much drinking lemon water can benefit your body, as opposed to drinking plain old water. Not only can lemon water provide a number of health benefits, but it can leave a refreshing taste that regular water simply can’t match. More than that, you can even choose what specific health benefits you want to enjoy by changing the temperature of your lemon water. Here are a few ways lemon water can enhance your health.
Health benefits of drinking cold lemon water
Cold lemon water is an ideal beverage for hot summer days and it can even promote your overall health.
- Cold lemon water is a refreshing low-calorie drink. Ditch the sugary energy drinks and artificial fruit juices. If you’re looking for a flavorful alternative to plain old water that is also low on calories, why not sip a cool refreshing glass of lemon water instead? You can even add some honey, a few slices of ginger, or even a few mint leaves if you want to enhance the flavor even further. You get roughly only seven calories when you drink an ounce of cold lemon water.
- Cold lemon water supports the growth of healthy, glowing skin. Vitamin C is necessary for the production of collagen in your skin. Fortunately, lemon water contains plenty of vitamin C. If you want smooth, healthy, and glowing skin, you should drink a glass of cold lemon water every morning. Not only will it keep you freshly hydrated at the start of the day, but it can also provide natural sun protection and prevent the formation of wrinkles. (Related: A citrusy pick-me-up: The 15 health benefits of drinking lemon water in the morning.)
- Cold lemon water provides protection from harmful free radicals. Vitamin C also happens to serve as an excellent antioxidant that can protect you from the effects of harmful free radicals. This essential vitamin can even aid your body in metabolizing cholesterol. You can prevent oxidative stress from occurring in your tissues by regularly drinking cold lemon water.
Health benefits of drinking warm lemon water
Warm lemon water has its own fair share of health benefits too, including improving your metabolism and digestive health.
- Warm lemon water improves your digestive function. Drinking warm water in the morning can aid your digestion, but drinking warm lemon water can more effectively stimulate your liver to produce bile. This enhanced bile production facilitates the movement of food in your digestive tract. If you want to maintain a healthy liver, you should start drinking one to two glasses of warm lemon water before drinking any tea or coffee.
- Warm lemon water boosts your energy levels. If you need a drink to perk you up at the start of the day, consider taking a glass of warm lemon water instead of a hot cup of coffee for your early morning energy boost. Lemon has a sweet citrusy fragrance that can elevate your mood and reduce your stress levels.
- Warm lemon water helps you manage your weight. Drinking cold lemon water won’t boost your metabolism, but warm lemon water can at least encourage your body to process food at a slower rate. If you want to get optimal nutrient absorption from the food you eat, you might want to drink warm lemon water half an hour before eating any of your meals.
Stay hydrated by drinking eight glasses of refreshingly clean lemon water every day.