(Natural News) In this study, researchers from Cameroon, India, and the U.K. evaluated the efficacy of the aqueous leaf and stem extract of Cissus quandrangularis (veld grape) in reducing body fat and other components of metabolic syndrome in overweight people. The results of their pilot study were published in The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine.
- Previous study had demonstrated the ability of an aqueous leaf and stem extract of C. quandrangularis (300?mg of CQR, CQR-300) to improve components of metabolic syndrome (MS) in overweight individuals.
- The researchers used two different methods: Bioelectrical impedance assay and dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) to measure and confirm the efficacy of CQR-300 in reducing body fat.
- The eight-week double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot trial involved 67 individuals who were asked to maintain their normal exercise and dietary routines. The participants were randomly divided into two groups: Placebo (32 participants) and the CQR-300 group (35 participants). They received either 300?mg of corn starch or CQR-300 daily.
- The researchers measured body fat by bioelectrical impedance using a TANITA impedance meter and by DEXA. They took blood samples at baseline and at eight weeks to measure lipid parameters.
- After eight weeks of treatment, participants of the placebo group showed a 1.05 percent decrease in body fat according to bioelectrical impedance analysis, but no difference was reported using DEXA.
- The CQR-300 group had 8.9 and 12.8 percent decreases in body fat as measured by impedance and DEXA, respectively.
- Compared with the placebo, the CQR-300 group showed significant decreases in waist and hip circumferences, systolic and diastolic blood pressures, total cholesterol, triglycerides, fasting blood glucose, as well as leptin levels.
- On the other hand, their HDL-cholesterol and adiponectin levels increased significantly.
Based on these results, the researchers concluded that taking CQR-300 once a day is an effective way of reducing body fat as well as improving blood parameters associated with MS.
Read the full article at this link.
Nash R, Azantsa B, Kuate D, Singh H, Oben J. THE USE OF A STEM AND LEAF AQUEOUS EXTRACT OF CISSUS QUADRANGULARIS (CQR-300) TO REDUCE BODY FAT AND OTHER COMPONENTS OF METABOLIC SYNDROME IN OVERWEIGHT PARTICIPANTS. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 18 January 2019;25(1):98–106. DOI: 10.1089/acm.2018.0016