(Natural News) A study published in the Journal of Food Processing and Preservation suggested that flour made from Vietnamese purple-fleshed sweet potato can be used in various health food products, such as desserts, noodles, snacks, and more. In the study, the phytochemical and nutrient content of sweet potato flours from Vietnam were examined.
- Researchers at Naresuan University in Thailand and Nong Lam University in Vietnam looked at the effects of thermal processes on bioactive compounds and properties of flour made from purple?fleshed sweet potato in Vietnam called “Nhat tim.”
- The Vietnamese purple-fleshed sweet potato was tested using different processing techniques, such as hot air drying, freeze drying, microwave vacuum drying, drum drying, and extrusion cooking.
- The researchers found that the Vietnamese purple-fleshed sweet potato flour is a good source of anthocyanins such as cyanidin and peonidin.
- It is also a good source of phenolic compounds like chlorogenic acid, caffeic acid, ferulic acid, and p?Hydroxybenzoic acid.
- Microwave vacuum drying process produced flours with the highest cyanidin, peonidin, and antioxidant activity.
- Hot air drying technique preserved the highest chlorogenic acid content, while freeze-drying technique produced flours with the highest p?Hydroxybenzoic acid content.
- The microwave vacuum drying process was found to be the most efficient process for producing purple-fleshed sweet potato flour because it retained the most anthocyanins and phenolic compounds with the highest antioxidant activity.
In conclusion, the findings of the study suggest that Vietnamese purple-fleshed sweet potato flours can be used in various health food products, such as beverages, confectioneries, desserts, noodles, snacks, and soups.
To read more studies on the health benefits of sweet potato, visit FoodScience.news.
Thi Lan Khanh P, Chittrakorn S, Rutnakornpituk B, Phan Tai H, Ruttarattanamongkol K. PROCESSING EFFECTS ON ANTHOCYANINS, PHENOLIC ACIDS, ANTIOXIDANT ACTIVITY, AND PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS OF VIETNAMESE PURPLE-FLESHED SWEET POTATO FLOURS. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation. 28 September 2018; 42(9). DOI: 10.1111/jfpp.13722