(Natural News) Long-term intake of multivitamins is associated with a lower risk of cardiovascular disease in men, according to a study published in The Journal of Nutrition. In the study, the effects of multivitamin use on cardiovascular disease risk were investigated.
- Multivitamins are dietary supplements widely used because they are believed to improve or maintain health. However, only a few studies have looked into the potential role of multivitamins in the prevention of cardiovascular disease.
- Therefore, a team of U.S. researchers evaluated whether multivitamin use was linked to the incidence of major cardiovascular disease events, such as heart attack, stroke, and cardiovascular death, in a long-term, prospective study in men.
- For the study, the research team followed 18,530 healthy men aged 40 years old or over from 1982 to 1995.
- The participants were initially enrolled from the Physicians’ Health Study I cohort.
- All participants in the study provided a wide range of self-reported lifestyle and clinical factors. They also self-reported their intake of selected foods and dietary supplements.
- During a mean follow-up of 12.2 years, the researchers recorded 1,697 incident cases of major cardiovascular disease.
- There was no association between current multivitamin use and the risk of major cardiovascular disease events like heart attack, stroke, or cardiovascular disease-related death.
- However, the researchers found that multivitamin use was significantly associated with a 14 percent lower risk of cardiac revascularization.
- Moreover, men who reported at least 20 years use of multivitamins had a lower risk of major cardiovascular disease events.
In conclusion, these findings indicate the taking multivitamins for at least 20 years may lower the risk of major cardiovascular disease events, such as heart attack, stroke, and cardiovascular disease-related death.
Read the full text of the study at this link.
To read more studies on the prevention of cardiovascular disease, visit Prevention.news.
Rautiainen S, Rist PM, Glynn RJ, Buring JE, Gaziano JM, Sesso HD. MULTIVITAMIN USE AND THE RISK OF CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE IN MEN. The Journal of Nutrition. June 2016; 146(6): 1235-1240. DOI: 10.3945/jn.115.227884