(Natural News) If you suffer from frequent headaches, an inability to sleep, acute anxiety, and other related symptoms, chances are that you are regularly exposed to chronic stress. Chronic stress can have a negative impact on your overall health and may often lead to illness, adrenal fatigue, and chronic disease. Fortunately, there are natural remedies that can be used to combat chronic stress and support adrenal health.
Chronic stress can severely impair your adrenal health. Your body’s stress response system is called the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis or the HPA axis. It is a complex set of feedback mechanisms that influence your physical and mental health. It operates by constantly trying to keep your body in a state of physiological balance, or homeostasis. However, even your HPA axis has its limits. Chronic stress can overload your HPA axis, sending it into a state of imbalance. This imbalance is called HPA axis dysfunction and is also known as adrenal fatigue. There are a number of natural remedies that you can use to treat adrenal fatigue. These may include taking vitamin supplements, following a proper adrenal diet, or sleeping on a regular schedule. However, one of the most effective natural remedies for combating adrenal fatigue is the use of adaptogenic herbs. (Related: Learn how to treat adrenal fatigue naturally.)
What are adaptogenic herbs?
Adaptogenic herbs are herbal stimulants that work to counteract the harmful effects of stress. While it might be impossible to avoid all sources of stress in your life, adaptogenic herbs can help your body cope with the negative effects of stress. When you are exposed to stress, your body goes through three different phases. These are the alarm phase, the phase of resistance, and the phase of exhaustion. The alarm phase shifts your body into high gear, triggering the release of adrenaline and other hormones to boost your performance. When your body gets that needed energy boost, you go into the phase of resistance in which your body literally resists the stressor. However, an adrenaline rush can’t last forever and your body will eventually enter the phase of exhaustion. What adaptogenic herbs do is to extend the duration of the phase of resistance, giving you more time and energy to deal with the stressor at hand.
These herbs can be used to restore your body’s natural balance, lower your risk of chronic diseases, and improve mood and energy levels.
Which adaptogenic herbs can promote adrenal health
You can take control of your adrenal health and help manage your stress levels with the help of these adaptogenic herbs:
- Ashwagandha. One of the most popular adaptogenic herbs, ashwagandha is often used in traditional Ayurvedic medicine as a healing tonic. You can use this herb if you have to undergo intense physical activity. It can help improve your overall strength, endurance, stamina, and immunity.
- Rhodiola. This herb can help balance your body’s sympathetic, and parasympathetic nervous systems during times of great stress. It can also help your body achieve a state of homeostasis.
- Arctic root. Also known as “rose root,” this herb can be used to help treat minor health ailments.
- Cordyceps. Cordyceps is a medicinal mushroom that has been used in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) for centuries due to its immune-boosting properties. Since chronic stress can greatly impair immune function, you can use cordyceps to support a healthy immune system and help prevent disease.
- Holy basil. Commonly known as “tulsi,” this calming herb also has a long history of being used in Ayurvedic medicine. You can use it to prevent oxidative stress and alleviate depression and anxiety.
If you want to know more about herbal medicines, you can read more articles by going to Herbs.news.