(Natural News) Kidney stones are one of the most painful conditions that you can experience in your life. In fact, some women even claim that it’s just as or even more painful than giving birth. Unfortunately, kidney stones are also very common, with 10 percent of Americans having them at least once in their life.
These stones, which are caused by the accumulation of dissolved minerals in the kidney, often form without showing any symptoms. It’s not until they get stuck on their way out that they make their presence known. Although it would be extremely painful, smaller stones can still pass after some time. Bigger stones, on the other hand, pose a bigger problem since they might require surgery. To reduce the suffering and the costs that kidney stones might bring, there are natural remedies that you can use to dissolve stones so that they can be easily flushed out of the body. Some examples of these include the following:
- Pomegranate juice — One delicious way of flushing out kidney stones from your body is by drinking pomegranate juice. This effect of pomegranate juice can be attributed to its astringent and antioxidant properties. Moreover, this drink also lowers the acidity levels of urine to prevent kidney stone formation. You can drink as much pomegranate juice as you want but make sure that you aren’t taking medications changed by the liver or those that are for blood pressure since these can affect each other.
- Dandelion root — Dandelion root helps detox the kidneys by increasing urine production and enhancing digestion. It is also rich in nutrients like vitamins A, B, C, and D, potassium, iron, and zinc that can promote proper functioning of the kidney and of other organs. You can enjoy the benefits of dandelion root by making it into a juice or tea and drinking three to four cups of this per day.
- Magnesium — If there’s one mineral that’s undeniably important for the body, it’s magnesium. This mineral is involved in almost all of the body’s functions and it also has therapeutic applications such as eliminating kidney stones. A previous study showed that increasing magnesium intake can lead to a 92.3 percent reduction in kidney stone formation. There are many different sources of magnesium. You can take it either as a supplement or in foods like whole wheat, dark leafy greens, quinoa, dark chocolate, black beans, avocados, and almonds.
- Basil — This herb is great for maintaining overall kidney health. Basil contains acetic acid that can break down kidney stones and alleviate pain. Moreover, it has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that support kidney health. To enjoy these benefits, take one teaspoon of basil juice mixed with raw honey or drink several cups of basil tea per day. One important thing to remember is that you shouldn’t use this natural remedy for more than six consecutive weeks since this can lead to lower blood sugar and blood pressure.
- Chanca piedra — Chanca piedra, which literally means stone breaker, is a medicinal plant that has long been used in Central and South America as a remedy for kidney stones. It is able to break down existing stones and prevent their formation.
- Lemon juice — Citrate found in lemon breaks down kidney stones into smaller pieces so that they can pass more easily. Moreover, this substance also prevents the formation of calcium stones. (Related: You can easily avoid kidney stones by drinking more lemonade (the real kind).)
Tips on how to avoid kidney stone formation
There are many things that people do that unknowingly contribute to the formation of kidney stones. So if you want to experience better kidney health, here are some tips that can prevent kidney stone formation.
- Drink adequate amounts of water
- Limit intake of animal protein
- Avoid stone-forming foods like beets, chocolate, soda, and nuts
- Reduce sodium intake
For more articles about natural remedies for kidney stones, visit NaturalCures.news.