Urologists increasingly prescribe lemonade as a natural remedy for kidney stones. People with kidney stones, or those who are prone to them, have often been prescribed potassium citrate supplements. Lemonade therapy can be an excellent alternative for this because natural citrate is found in highest concentrations in lemons and lemon juice.
Kidney stones form as a result of the urine becoming concentrated with stone-forming salts and a lack of stone-preventing substance like citrate. Thus, restoring citrate levels is essential in addressing kidney stones, and a natural source like lemonade is an effective solution for citrate deficiency.
To make lemonade, mix one-half cup lemon juice with seven cups of water. You can also add honey or stevia for flavor. (Related: Drink to your kidney health with lemonade to avoid kidney stones.)
A recent study has proven that citric acid-rich lemon juice is highly effective in preventing kidney stones or decelerating their formation. Researchers from Duke University Comprehensive Kidney Stone Center monitored 12 patients with kidney stones who were on lemonade therapy for a period of four years.
Based on their findings, the patients all experienced a reduction in the levels and growth of kidney stones throughout the four-year lemonade therapy. The patients did not even need a medical intervention for kidney stones during the study period.
Another reason why drinking lemonade is a highly effective natural remedy for kidney stones is that it makes patients drink more water, which has a positive cleansing effect on the kidneys. Taking a citrate supplement can cause a similar effect. Kidney stone patients are usually advised to drink 1.5 to two liters of fluids every day to help reduce kidney stones.
In addition to lemonade therapy, avoiding the consumption of processed table salt and meats can help prevent the formation of kidney stones. Moreover, be watchful of your protein intake and stay well-hydrated by eating a healthy amount of fruits and vegetables every day.
Passing a kidney stone has been likened to the excruciating pain of natural childbirth. It causes pain in the flank and lower back, and often includes symptoms such as abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and blood in the urine. If fever also occurs, this likely means that there is an infection in the blood, which can be fatal.
More reasons to drink lemonade
Here are some more benefits you can get from drinking lemonade in addition to kidney stone prevention:
- Drinking lemonade aids digestion – Lemon juice is a potent natural remedy for indigestion and constipation. Hence, drinking lemonade can enhance the ability of the digestive tract to break down foods. At the same time, it loosens waste that is lining the walls of bowels.
- Drinking lemonade supports weight loss – Lemon juice and lemonade have been used as part of a weight loss regimen. Lemonade is beneficial for losing weight because lemons contain a soluble fiber called pectin, which has exhibited weight loss properties. Additionally, lemonade can help you feel full, which helps control your appetite.
- Drinking lemonade treats fever – One of the best ways to treat fever is through perspiration, and lemonade can help increase perspiration output. Drinking lemonade can accelerate a fever’s breaking point and help the body return to normal temperature.
- Drinking lemonade prevents cancer – Lemons contain antioxidants, which have been shown to ward off cell deformation. Cell deformation results in the development and spread of cancer. Thus, drinking lemonade regularly can ensure a continuous consumption of these antioxidants.
- Drinking lemonade provides a calming effect – Drinking lemonade can provide a calming and relieving effect for people with high blood pressure, nausea, and dizziness because of the high amount of potassium in lemons. High potassium levels can help calm various cardiac issues.
Learn more about the benefits of consuming fresh fruit at Fresh.news.