(Natural News) Acute radio proctitis is a grim reminder of how uncertain and risky conventional cancer treatment can be. According to one study, a topical preparation of aloe vera can be used to remedy the condition and provide relief to patients.
Acute radio or radiation proctitis is an inflammation of the lower parts of the colon following exposure to X-rays and other forms of radiation. It causes diarrhea and the feeling of constantly needing to defecate. The process of defecation is usually painful. The condition tends to resolve even without treatment, but this can take several months.
Radiation proctitis occurs in about 50 percent of people who undergo radiation therapy, one of the most popular conventional methods of cancer treatment besides chemotherapy. In radiation therapy, the part of the body with the cancerous growth is bombarded with a high dose of radiation with the intention to kill the cancer cells and reduce the size of the tumors.
Radiation proctitis is just one of several side effects of radiotherapy, which include hair loss, skin irritation, swelling, sunburns, urinary problems, hepatitis, and sudden drops in platelet and white blood cell count. Radio proctitis usually occurs in patients with colon, cervical, and prostate cancers.
To determine the effects of the aloe vera preparation, the researchers invited 20 patients suffering from the condition. The participants were assigned to receive either the preparation or a placebo twice daily for four weeks.
Many of the participants reported improvements in a number of factors after four weeks, especially in the case of diarrhea, fecal urgency, clinical presentation total, RTOG total, and lifestyle. Because of these findings, the researchers concluded that many patients suffering from acute radiation proctitis could find relief through therapy using the aloe vera preparation used in the study.
The study was published in The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine.
Herbs against cancer
To prevent side effects like radiation proctitis, one can opt to have their cancer treated naturally using herbs and spices that science says are good for the body and won’t cause side effects. Here are some of the best herbs for naturally fighting cancer:
- Turmeric – The curcumin in turmeric is a powerful antioxidant that protects the body’s cells from damage. This natural compound is also a potent anti-inflammatory and anti-angiogenic agent that prevents the formation of abnormal blood vessels that feed and nourish tumors. This action starves cancerous tissues to death.
- Garlic – This vegetable, as well as shallots, onions, leeks, scallions, and similar vegetables, contains organosulfur compounds. These natural chemicals may be stinky, but they strengthen the immune system and help fight cancer cells. It is easy to consume and incorporate to any diet as it goes well with meats and other health-boosting ingredients.
- Black pepper – Like other berries, black pepper contains antioxidants, primarily piperine. Although powerful in its own right, piperine is best combined with the curcumin in turmeric. Together, these two compounds have been found effective against breast cancer tumors.
- Cayenne pepper – The capsaicin in cayenne is also an antioxidant that is deadly to cancer cells. This compound has been found to be effective against prostate cancer cells.
- Oregano – Like mint, thyme, marjoram, parsley, and basil m oregano contains carvacrol, an antioxidant that inhibits the growth and development of cancer cells by acting as a disinfectant of sorts.
Learn about the side effects of conventional cancer treatments at Cancer.news.