(Natural News) In most cases, insect bites are harmless and can cause nothing more than an itchy sensation. If the itch becomes too much to bear, you don’t have to resort to ointments laden with chemicals that can harm both your skin and your health. You only need to use the right essential oils to get fast and effective relief.
In fact, you can make your very own anti-itch essential oil blend with these ingredients:
- 5 drops of lavender oil – Lavender oil is an effective pain reliever, thanks to its analgesic effects. It also prevents inflammation and speeds up the healing of wounds.
- 3 drops of tea tree oil – Tea tree is known for its potent ability to fight infections by getting rid of bacteria and viruses. It also can soothe pain and prevent inflammation.
- 2 drops of frankincense – This essential oil is known for its powerful anti-inflammatory properties and its ability to speed up wound healing. It can also improve the effects of other oils.
- 2 ounces of alcohol-free witch hazel – Witch hazel is an astringent with soothing properties. It is also able to put a stop to inflammation. You need to use the alcohol-free product because alcohol cancels witch hazel’s natural moisturizing effects and dries up the skin.
Just combine these oils and store the combination in a glass bottle and you should be good to go.
The dangers of DEET
Prevention is said to be better than cure and in the case of insect bites, what better way to prevent them than to keep the insects away from you? Chemical insect repellents are touted to be highly effective, but the active ingredient in most of them can have extremely undesirable effects.
|Discover how to prevent and reverse heart disease (and other cardio related events) with this free ebook: Written by popular Natural News writer Vicki Batt, this book includes everything you need to know about preventing heart disease, reversing hypertension, and nurturing your cardiac health without medication. Learn More.|
N,N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide (DEET) is an oil that’s used as the active ingredient in most chemical insect repellents. Although classified as “slightly toxic,” it is known to cause a variety of side effects, including skin irritation, disorientation, dizziness, and seizures.
In extreme situations, DEET can be fatal — at least three of the deaths linked to DEET involved kids that received a frequent and a heavy application of products containing the oil.
Natural ways to soothe itchy skin
For a stubborn itch, you might need to run to your pantry. Here are effective home remedies that you can use to treat itchy skin:
- Coconut oil – This oil has powerful antibacterial and antifungal properties, as well as anti-inflammatory activity that can help remedy an itch. It also moisturizes the skin and prevents drying that can cause further itching. Olive oil works just as effectively.
- Oatmeal – When ground into powder and added to a warm bath, oatmeal can soothe itchy skin, especially if the sensation comes from irritation or a sunburn. Oats also have anti-inflammatory effects that help remedy the problem.
- Water – Dry skin can be very itchy. Aside from moisturizing the skin itself, the best way to prevent drying is to maintain a healthy intake of water.
- Baking soda – This versatile product kills germs and treats inflammation by neutralizing the acids on the skin’s surface. Like oats, it can be added to warm water for a soothing bath.
- Vitamin D – Itchy skin could be a sign of deficiency in this important nutrient. During the winter months, you can increase your vitamin D intake by taking supplements, although you may need to talk to your healthcare specialist before doing so.
- Omega-3s – These healthy fats nourish the skin from within and prevents it from becoming dry. Omega-3 fatty acids are found in fatty fish like salmon, as well as in avocados and nuts.
- Aloe vera – This staple for burns works excellently for itchy skin, too. It has anti-inflammatory and moisturizing effects that are ideal for treating an itch.
Learn which home remedies to use for which health problem at Remedies.news.