(Natural News) Good things come in small packages: Goldenberry — which is roughly the size of a marble — is not only packed with nutrients but is also rich in health benefits. It’s widely considered to be a superfood, thanks to its ability to manage diabetes, strengthen the immune system, reduce inflammation, and even help a person lose weight. The small fruit, aside from being delicious, is a powerful energizer and contains essential vitamins, mineral, and antioxidants. It’s also known to support body growth — thanks to its high levels of protein and phosphorous — and is associated with improving digestion, purifying the blood, and lowering cholesterol.
The goldenberry, which is also called cape gooseberry or Peruvian groundcherry, is a perennial plant native to South America. The evergreen shrub is cultivated for its fruit, which can be eaten raw or added in jams or jellies. The fruit is described to be bitter-sweet in flavor, with its dried version used as an alternative to raisins. In the wild, it’s found wrapped in its calyx to protect it against pests and the elements; however, this wrapping is toxic and should be removed before eating.
Most known health benefits of the goldenberry are from its fruits, but other parts of the plant have been shown to have active biological properties as well. The leaf juice, in particular, is used in traditional medicine to treat worms and bowel problems, while the calyces can be used in a decoction to treat diabetes.
Health benefits of goldenberries
Goldenberries are rich in vitamins and minerals and contain low levels of calories, but the real reason they’re valued is for their high antioxidant concentrations. In particular, these are rich in polyphenols and carotenoids, which are known to greatly benefit human health and have a synergistic effect with other nutrients. Here are some more ways that the body can benefit from eating goldenberries. (h/t to OrganicFacts.net.)
|Discover how to prevent and reverse heart disease (and other cardio related events) with this free ebook: Written by popular Natural News writer Vicki Batt, this book includes everything you need to know about preventing heart disease, reversing hypertension, and nurturing your cardiac health without medication. Learn More.|
- Rich in antioxidants. One of the main benefits of goldenberries is that it has a high antioxidant content, making it ideal in preventing chronic diseases and even certain cancers. These also block free radical damage, which can cause healthy cells to mutate into cancerous cells.
- Reduces inflammation. People who suffer from arthritis, gout, muscle aches, and chronic pain would do well in adding goldenberries in their diet, as these can soothe inflammation and improve overall health. It’s even great for those with inflamed arteries or blood vessels since it reduces the risk of atherosclerosis, which can lead to more severe cardiovascular diseases.
- Improves vision. The carotenoids in goldenberries boost eye health by removing oxidative stress, as well as preventing cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Helps with weight loss. Each 100-gram serving of goldenberries has only 53 calories, making it an ideal snack for those thinking about losing weight.
- Cuts down “bad” cholesterol. The oleic and linoleic acids in goldenberries lower the amount of low-density lipoproteins (also known as the “bad” cholesterol), keeping the heart in check.
- Boosts immunity. A single serving of goldenberries has enough vitamin C to stimulate the production of white blood cells that help protect the body from invaders.
- Prevents cancer. Withanolides found in goldenberries have been found to induce automatic cell death, slowing down the spread of cancerous cells in the body.
- Regulates diabetes. The compounds in goldenberries can modulate the breakdown of carbohydrates, which includes the body’s intake of simple sugars. This helps manage sugar fluctuations that are common in people with diabetes.
- Improves kidney and liver health. The withanolides in goldenberries are also known to protect the liver from scarring and degradation and helps eliminate toxins from the kidneys. (Related: Ten Essential Superfoods Guaranteed to Kickstart Your Day.)
Learn more about the other health benefits of goldenberries at Food.news.