(Natural News) Another study has proven that coconut oil is indeed healthy. In a study published in the journal Food Science and Technology, coconut oil cake was found to be a versatile and natural antioxidant that can be used in preserving food.
There have been no studies as of yet that looked into the utilization of coconut oil cake as a direct antioxidant source. Researchers from the University of Kelaniya in Sri Lanka examined the phenolic extract of coconut oil cake for antioxidant activity-related food stabilization. Oil cakes, also referred to as oil meals, are byproducts obtained after oil extraction from seeds. In animal foods, these are used in the fermentation process to produce enzymes, antibiotics, and some antioxidants.
In the study, the researchers measured the induction time of sunflower oil enriched with heat-treated antioxidants to determine the heat stabilities and synthetic antioxidants of coconut oil cake extract.
Results revealed that coconut oil cake extract can be effectively used to prevent lipid peroxidation in different food systems. In addition, coconut oil cake extract can also keep the antioxidant activity at high temperatures.
The results of the study suggested that coconut oil cake extract is a versatile and thermally stable natural antioxidant mixture that is effective in stabilizing many food systems.
Based on the findings of the study, the researchers concluded that coconut oil cake extract may be used as a successful alternative for synthetic antioxidants in preserving food. (Related: Reinstated superfood status: Coconut oil has always been good for your heart, but now doctors have the science to confirm it.)
Other uses of coconut oil
Aside from being a food ingredient, coconut oil is also used for skin health and hair health. Here are some ways coconut oil is used for the skin and hair:
- Coconut oil as a makeup remover: You can use coconut oil to remove makeup. Just take a cotton ball and gently sweep it over your eyes and face. After this, rinse your face with a mild face wash. Coconut oil not only removes the waxy make-up from the eyes and face, but also keeps the skin hydrated.
- Coconut oil as a lip balm: If you have cracked and dry lips, coconut oil is an effective and cost-efficient solution. Apply a dash of coconut oil on the lips to add moisture and shine to it. You can also add some eucalyptus oil or mint to the oil to enhance its effects.
- Coconut oil treats cracked skin and cuticles: Massage your cuticles and the skin around it with some coconut oil to nourish them.
- Coconut oil as a cleanser: The natural anti-bacterial, antifungal, and moisturizing properties of coconut oil make it a great skin cleanser. To use coconut oil as a cleanser, apply some of it in circular motions all over the face and neck. After gently massaging it to your face, rinse it off.
- Coconut oil as a hair conditioner: Coconut oil also works as a great hair conditioner. Just apply some of it on your scalp and hair. Leave it overnight and wash it the following day.
- Coconut oil reduces hair frizz: If you tend to have frizzy hair, coconut oil is a great way to treat it. Apply some of the oil on your hair to avoid frizzy hair even if your hair is exposed to some heat.
- Coconut oil as a dandruff treatment: Dandruff is typically caused by having a dry scalp. To minimize dandruff, massage your scalp with warm coconut oil. Coat the rest of your hair too. Leave it on your scalp for 30 minutes, then wash it off with water.
Read more news stories and studies on natural food ingredients by going to FoodScience.news.