(Natural News) Lower back pain is one of the most common pain symptoms among people aged 45 to 65. Unfortunately, contemporary lower back pain treatments are not always effective and even have side effects. Thus, there is an increasing interest in alternative pain treatments. In a study published in the Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge, a Perso-Arabic traditional medicine called wet cupping has been proven to be a safe and effective treatment for lower back pain.
Researchers at the National Institute of Unani Medicine in India examined the effectiveness of wet-cupping in treating lower back pain. Wet cupping is a technique that involves negative pressure to selected areas of the body using cups. These cups are removed after a few minutes. After that, few incisions are made to draw out waste blood using disposable cups. This type of therapy has been used to treat various pain conditions.
For the study, the researchers recruited 30 patients, aged 25 to 60, who were clinically diagnosed with lower back pain. Prior to treatment, various tests were conducted on all patients to ensure their safety. Eligible patients were then subjected to wet cupping over their lumbosacral region. The researchers evaluated the effectiveness of wet cupping using Oswestry disability index (ODI), a questionnaire used to measure disability due to lower back pain, at the beginning and at the end of the treatment. They also carried out a statistical analysis after the procedure.
Based on the results, lower back pain and associated disability significantly improved by more than 55 percent after the treatment. The study also confirmed that wet cupping is safe as there were no adverse events reported.
Based on these findings, the researchers of the study concluded that wet cupping is a safe and effective treatment for lower back pain.
Other benefits of cupping therapy
Cupping therapy has been around for years and is still being used today because of its many benefits. Here are some of them:
- It improves blood flow — Cupping therapy improves blood circulation by strengthening the veins and arterial muscles. This is because it removes congested blood.
- It removes weakness in the body — Cupping therapy can eliminate weakness in the body by opening the nerves that have become stiff. Through this, a person can recover from fatigue and weakness.
- It helps treat fever — Cupping therapy has been used as a treatment for fever since ancient times. According to studies, cupping therapy removes pathogenic factors that cause pain and disturbance in the body’s homeostasis.
- It treats skin diseases — Skin problems, such as acne, boils, and pimples, may be treated through cupping therapy because it helps in the making of lymph fluids that are needed for fighting off bacteria and pathogens. The treatment also purifies the skin, strengthens the body’s defenses, and helps the skin breathe.
- It helps prevent liver problems — This therapy also helps ward off liver problems as it removes impurities in the blood, as well as senile and stagnant corpuscles.
- It treats digestive problems – For digestive problems like ulcers and constipation, cupping therapy is an effective treatment because it helps in the secretion of essential digestive fluids. These fluids help the body absorb nutrients better, thereby preventing the bloodstream from absorbing harmful substances. This treatment also helps improve a person’s appetite.
- It treats rheumatic diseases – Cupping therapy is a great alternative treatment for rheumatic diseases, such as joint pain, rheumatism, lumbago, and arthritis. Because this treatment improves blood flow, the body can get all the enzymes, hormones, nutrients, oxygen, and vitamins that improve overall function. In addition, it helps improve the elasticity of joints by increasing the flow of synovial fluid to them. (Related: New Trials Support the Effectiveness of Cupping Therapy.)
- It supports the nervous system – Cupping therapy also supports the nervous system as it helps in the transmission of brain signals by removing any congestion that causes problems in the brain. This treatment can also help treat depression, epilepsy, headaches, and ischemia.
Read more news stories and studies on natural pain treatments by going to HealingArts.news.