(Natural News) A study published in the European Journal of Medicinal Plants recently concluded that papayas may be a delicious and natural way to prevent brain damage caused by cadmium toxicity. Cadmium is a known carcinogen and neurotoxin. In point of fact, this specific heavy metal is notorious for intensifying oxidative damage in the nervous system, thereby increasing one’s risk of various diseases and illnesses, particularly those related to the brain.
- Thirty male Wistar rats were randomly divided into six groups of five animals each.
- All groups were treated intraperitoneally with a single dose of 3.5 mg/kg body weight of cadmium sulfate.
- Two of the six groups were treated with high and low doses of papaya extract at 250 mg/kg and 400 mg/kg body weight respectively for four weeks.
- Results showed that malondialdehyde (MDA) levels decreased in groups that received the papaya extract. MDA is an organic compound and is used as a marker for oxidative stress.
- Further, the papaya-treated groups showed an increased production in various compounds related to detoxification.
- The papaya extract was also observed to increase the levels of various antioxidants that acted to strengthen the immune system as the bodies of the rats began their detoxification process.
It was concluded that papaya displays excellent antioxidant and detoxification properties. These prove to be advantageous for anyone who may be at risk of a cadmium-induced brain disease.
Read the full text of the study at this link.
Learn more about the many fruits that can protect your health at Fruits.news.
Akpan HB, Omotoso OD, Olapade AR, Ogbonna E, Negedu MN, Akande AA, Adedeji AO, Oladipupo FE, Orisadiran PK. ANTIOXIDANT PROPERTIES OF CARICA PAPAYA ON CADMIUM TOXICITY ON PREFRONTAL-CORTEX OF ADULT WISTAR RATS. European Journal of Medicinal Plants. 2018; 23(3). DOI: 10.9734/EJMP/2018/22753