(Natural News) A study found that one way to relieve pain is to lose weight. The study, published in the Journal of Pain, revealed that even a small amount of weight loss eases pain all over the body, and not just the weight-bearing joints in obese patients.
A team of researchers from the University of Michigan wanted to identify how obese patients experienced overall pain and chronic conditions, such as fatigue and depression. Thus, they carried out a study on 123 obese patients with these conditions and identified how weight loss could relieve their pain. People who suffer from obesity also tend to suffer from pain in the knees, hips, and lower back – all of the parts that are weight-bearing.
In the study, the researchers administered a low-calorie diet to the participants to help them lose weight. In addition, they guided them on how to steadily increase their physical activity. Moreover, the participants answered a survey regarding their symptoms before and after the weight loss intervention that lasted for 12 weeks.
“The focus in the program is on calorie restriction and long-term weight loss, although all patients are encouraged to get more physically active for the other health benefits that exercise provides,” said Amy Rothberg of the University of Michigan.
The findings of the study showed that even a 10 percent loss of weight helped obese patients lessen discomfort not only in the joints, but also in the abdomen, arm, chest, and jaw. In addition, participants who lost at least 10 percent of their weight reported better mental health, enhanced cognition, and more energy in comparison to those who did not lose weight.
Furthermore, the researchers observed that joints are not the only channel of body pain. They took blood samples from one-fourth of the participants and found that there was an increase in anti-inflammatory molecules. Thus, they believe that weight loss also affected the central mechanisms of pain control associated to the brain and spinal cord.
Lose weight naturally
Obesity and chronic pain are serious public health concerns. Previous studies have shown that the relationship of obesity and pain is mediated by different factors – structural changes associated with obesity, inflammatory mediators, mood disturbance, poor sleep, and lifestyle habits. Losing weight has also been found to be beneficial for pain. Here are tips on how to lose weight naturally.
- Increase protein intake to make you feel fuller and reduce your appetite.
- Do not eat processed foods as they are high in added sugars, added fats, and calories.
- Always have healthy food available such as yogurt, whole fruit, nuts, carrots, and hard-boiled eggs.
- Minimize your intake of added sugar to improve your diet.
- Drink water to reduce calorie intake and burn more calories.
- Drink unsweetened coffee or green tea. These are high in antioxidants that help boost metabolism.
- Minimize your consumption of refined carbs.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables as they are rich in water, nutrients, and fiber that could help you lose weight.
- Be mindful of what you eat and keep track of your calorie intake once in a while.
- Use smaller plates to lessen the amount of food you eat and change how you perceive portion sizes.
- Eat more slowly to help you eat fewer calories and increase hormone production associated to weight loss.
- Include eggs in your diet as they are a protein-rich and low-calorie food.
- Get enough sleep.
- Do cardio and resistance exercises.
Learn more about the numerous benefits of losing weight at Slender.news.