(Natural News) If you’re trying to lose weight, you can never go wrong with a healthy diet and regular exercise. A study published in the journal BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine says adding spirulina to your diet may also help.
Spirulina platensis (Arthrospira platensis), is a unicellular photosynthetic microorganism called a cyanobacterium, though it is often classified as an alga. Although it belongs to the same classification as many disease-causing bacteria, spirulina is nontoxic and contains proteins and plenty of nutrients that can help you maintain your health.
Researchers wanted to know if spirulina can aid in weight loss, too. They recruited 64 obese individuals aged 2o to 50 years old. These participants were randomized between an intervention group (29 members) and a placebo group (27 members). Those in the first group took two daily doses of spirulina at 500 milligrams, while the control group took two starch tablets. They did this for 12 weeks.
To monitor any change, the scientists took note of the participants’ anthropometric parameters, serum lipids, appetite, and serum vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) at the beginning and the end of the 12-week period. The participants were also required to undergo an assessment of their dietary intake and appetite using one 24-hour recall method and a standard visual analog scale (VAS), respectively.
At the end of the study period, the researchers noted that while both groups showed decreased BMI, the reduction in the intervention group was higher than that in the control group. The spirulina group also showed reduced total cholesterol and appetite levels compared to the placebo group. However, no significant changes in mean serum VEGF, low-density lipoprotein-cholesterol, or triglycerides were observed.
|Discover how to prevent and reverse heart disease (and other cardio related events) with this free ebook: Written by popular Natural News writer Vicki Batt, this book includes everything you need to know about preventing heart disease, reversing hypertension, and nurturing your cardiac health without medication. Learn More.|
These outcomes led the researchers to conclude that spirulina is effective at modulating body weight and controlling appetite and cholesterol levels, which means it could help people looking for a healthy way to lose extra pounds.
Natural ways of losing weight
Aside from exercise, you can help your body lose weight through the following methods:
- Eat more protein – Adding more protein to your diet has several benefits. First, protein-rich food items like chicken breast and fish make you feel full but do not offer as many calories as fat. It also reduces your appetite, which is great if you’re trying to control your caloric intake. Second, it helps repair your muscles, keep you strong, and enable you to exercise longer and harder. For good measure, do not limit your protein to just animal sources. Vegetables like legumes and seeds can be good protein sources, too.
- Avoid processed food – These items tend to have plenty of fat, sugar, and salt that are bad in very high concentrations. They also tend to be addictive, so controlling your diet after you’ve started eating processed food can be very difficult.
- Keep yourself hydrated – A regular intake of water helps you burn more calories during exercise. It also promotes weight loss by making you feel full. There is no beverage better than plain water at quenching thirst, which means you won’t feel the need to indulge in sugary, high-calorie drinks.
- Stick to whole grains – While these contain carbs, they are rich in various nutrients that help keep your body strong. They also contain high amounts of fiber which can help improve your digestion and heart health.
- Eat fruits and vegetables – These items contain plenty of antioxidants and other nutrients that are vital to your body’s proper function. They help keep your bones and muscles nourished, and your body protected from disease.
- Get more sleep – Enough sleep means your body can repair injured tissue, which helps if you exercise regularly. Not sleeping enough is one of the main risk factors behind obesity.
Learn of other natural ways to lose weight at Slender.news.