(Natural News) Nutritionists have concluded that multivitamin and mineral supplementation can dramatically improve mood and brain activity in only four weeks. These findings, published in the Journal of Nutrition & Intermediary Metabolism, suggest that the continual consumption of multivitamins can benefit neurocognitive function.
- Fifty-eight healthy adults, with a mean age of 26, were analyzed in a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study.
- Blood biomarkers and functional brain activity were assessed at baseline and after four weeks supplementation.
- Participants displayed higher levels of B-vitamin along with a significantly lowered homocysteine count after the experiment period.
- These measurements are associated with improved mood and mental well-being.
- This was further highlighted by the notable reduction of the participants’ scores on the depression-dejection subscale of the Profile of Mood States.
- Brain scans likewise revealed that working memory was more activated after four weeks of multivitamin supplementation.
The authors of the new study conclude that multivitamin supplementation can positively affect brain function, altering neurocognitive activity in healthy young adults.
White D, Cox K, Peters R, Scholey AB. EFFECTS OF FOUR WEEKS SUPPLEMENTATION WITH A MULTIVITAMIN AND MINERAL PREPARATION ON MOOD AND FUNCTIONAL BRAIN ACTIVITY; Journal of Nutrition & Intermediary Metabolism. June 2016;4:6. DOI: 10.1016/j.jnim.2015.12.169