(Natural News) Asafoetida (Ferula assa–foetida), a plant commonly used in folk medicine, could potentially have anti-tumor and anti-metastasis effects against breast cancer, according to a study published in the Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine. The study, led by researchers from Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences and Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences in Iran, looked at the effect of an oleo gum resin from asafoetida in mice induced with breast cancer.
- Researchers grouped female BALB/c mice in two. Both groups were injected in the mammary fat pad with mammary carcinoma 4T1 cells.
- However, one group was treated with 100 mg/kg of asafoetida using an oral gavage. This was done 15 days after the tumor had developed.
- After the experiment had ended, the tumor was measured. The lung, liver, kidney, and tumor were collected, and tissue samples were analyzed.
- The results indicated that mice treated with asafoetida decreased their tumor weight and volume. Moreover, the body weight of mice with asafoetida was greater than that of the control group.
- Based on tissue analysis from the lungs, liver, and kidneys, the rate of spread of the tumor decreased those treated with asafoetida, and tumor tissue necrosis increased.
Researchers concluded that asafoetida contained anti-tumor and anti-metastasis effects on breast cancer.
Bagheri SM, Abdian-Asl A, Moghadam MT, Yadegari M, Mirjalili A, Zare-Mohazabieh F, Momeni H. ANTITUMOR EFFECT OF FERULA ASSA FOETIDA OLEO GUM RESIN AGAINST BREAST CANCER INDUCED BY 4T1 CELLS IN BALB/C MICE. Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine. 2017;8(3):152–158. DOI: 10.1016/j.jaim.2017.02.013