(Natural News) Jackfruit is known to be the largest tree-borne fruit in the world. Moreover, it is packed with various vitamins and minerals that can help support overall health. Jackfruit can be eaten in different ways — raw, dried, roasted, or added to soups. In addition, it can be made into chips, jams, ice cream, and juices. The seeds of jackfruit are also rich with many nutritional benefits. Its seeds can be boiled, or roasted and ground into flour to be added to curries. This humongous fruit can weigh from 10 to 100 pounds and is native to South and Southeast Asia.
Listed below are the seven health benefits that jackfruit can provide.
- Increases magnesium level in the body – Magnesium is an essential mineral that the body needs for the proper functioning of hundreds of enzymes. It is also important for bone structure and strength. Moreover, it can reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases, high blood pressure, and diabetes. Jackfruit is a good choice to be added to the diet because just a cup of it can account for around 15 percent of your daily recommended value of magnesium. (Related: Powerful diabetes prevention comes perfectly packaged in a strangely-named plant: introducing the jackfruit.)
- Boosts the immune system and helps combat cancer – Jackfruit contains vitamin C, antioxidants, and phytonutrients, such as saponins, lignans, and isoflavones, which are known to kelp fight cancer. The antioxidants found in jackfruit can fortify the immune system by eliminating the free radicals that damage the body. A previous study found that eating foods rich in antioxidants can neutralize free radicals.
- Improves digestive health – Jackfruits, especially its seeds, are one of the greatest choices for treating constipation or other digestive issues. This is because its seeds contain a lot of dietary fiber that can help in digestion. In addition, it can make you feel full, contributing to weight loss.
- Supports skin health – Jackfruit can help prevent signs of aging such as wrinkles. Soak the seeds of jackfruit in cold milk for one minute, grind it, then gently apply it on the wrinkles of your face. With regular use, your wrinkles will be reduced. Another way of using jackfruit for your skin is to soak its dry seeds in milk and honey. Then, grind the mixture and make it into a fine paste. Afterwards, apply it on your face, let it dry for a few minutes, and rinse your face. The antioxidants found in jackfruit help fight free radicals that cause premature aging. It detoxifies the body and provides glowing skin.
- Reduces the risk of heart disease – Another vitamin that can be found in jackfruits is vitamin B6, which helps reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases. Vitamin B6 has been shown to coordinate with vitamins B9 and B12 to manage high levels of homocysteine in the blood that might increase the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Improves quality of sleep – If you are having a hard time falling asleep or if you feel tired upon waking up, try eating jackfruit. As mentioned earlier, it is rich in magnesium. Together with iron, magnesium can help improve the overall quality of sleep.
- Aids in weight loss – If you are trying to lose weight, consider adding jackfruit to your diet. Jackfruit is one of the best and safest fruits to eat when trying to lose weight because it is packed with different nutrients, free from fat, and is low in calories.
Read more stories on other fruits and their health benefits at Fruits.news.