(NaturalNews) Creating an optimal hormonal balance is one of the best things one can do for their health. Fully functional hormones will increase energy, improve sleep, reduce anxiety, and much more. Learn to heal hypothyroidism by incorporating these four simple steps.
Foods to eat
The most common nutritional deficiency behind hypothyroidism is insufficient iodine. The low levels of this mineral in the diet spurred the recommendations to add it to table salt. Unfortunately, iodine has a short shelf life and table salt is heavily processed and often contains chemical residue.
The best bet is to eat foods that naturally contain iodine and other nutrients that assist with its proper absorption. Examples of these foods are:
• Seaweed (kelp, dulse, nori) • Cranberries • Navy beans • Eggs • Himalayan crystal salt • Potatoes • Black strap molasses • Apple cider vinegar
It's also a good idea to consume beneficial fats, such as:
• Avocados • Coconut oil • Cod liver oil
In addition to these recommendations, consider foods that clean up the digestive system such as fermented vegetables and kefir.
Foods to eliminate
There are also foods to eliminate if you have hypothyroidism, such as those that contain goitrogens. Goitrogens are naturally occurring anti-nutrients in certain foods that interfere with production of thyroid hormones. Examples of foods to eliminate if you have hypothyroidism include:
• Unfermented soy products • Corn • Raw broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kale, spinach, and turnips • Mustard, millet, pine nuts, peanuts, almonds • Canola oil • Peaches and strawberries
Note: Soy products can be consumed if fermented (miso, tempeh) and cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts) are fine if they are fermented or lightly cooked, as it has been shown that these processes effectively remove the goitrogenic compounds.
It is also a good idea to avoid conventional dairy products, processed foods and flours, gluten, added sugars, caffeine, and alcohol.
The state of the world today makes it very difficult to avoid radiation. Whether it is the Fukushima disaster and cesium-137, or EMFs from wifi signals, cell phones, TVs, computers, microwaves, and medical imaging, radiation is a prevalent threat to everyone and especially those with thyroid problems.
To avoid and neutralize radiation as much as possible, consider the following:
• Limit exposure to common electronic devices such as cell phones and computers • For devices that will continue to be used, consider technologies that neutralize their radiation • When plausible, practice earthing (bare skin touching the earth's surface such as feet) or use grounding technology • Consume iodine rich foods that allow radioactive iodine to pass through the body, leaving it unharmed.
These tips will help significantly reduce the negative effects of radiation.
Xenoestrogens are man-made estrogen mimicking molecules that are significant hormone disruptors. These chemicals and disruptors cause imbalances that eventually can cause thyroid related disorders such as hypothyroidism.
Examples of xenoestrogens, which should be avoided, include:
• Plastic containers • Lining of canned food • Styrofoam cups and containers • Cosmetics and toiletries • Agricultural chemicals • Non-organic meat and dairy
In addition to all these steps, it is not a bad idea to cleanse the liver two to three times a year to help rid the body of these dangerous toxins.
About the author: Derek Henry, B.Kin, is a highly revered holistic health coach and world renowned natural health blogger who created Healing the Body to help people understand the fundamental principles to exceptional health so they can overcome their own health challenges.
In this pursuit he created THRIVE, an 8 week online holistic lifestyle course based on the foundational structure that needs to be in place to create a healthy body and mind. It provides the specific knowledge, tools, strategies, and insights in a clear and concise format that allows you to clearly navigate your own healthy lifestyle, without all the confusion. It is the ultimate road map to healing the body. Check out this unique and exciting program, starting September 28th, 2014!