(NaturalNews) Although guilt can be paralyzing, it is does not necessarily reflect reality.
Guilt can be induced based on how we were raised - what our parents taught and demonstrated about right and wrong.
Teachers, religion, friends and media messages can also play a pivotal role in the formation of lifelong guilt.
In other words, much of guilt is socially wired into us as we pass through childhood and can leave its mark for the rest of our lives.
We can feel guilt even when we haven't done anything wrong, yet we let it influence our decisions. This can interfere when we are deciding what is best for our lives and when something people close to us don't want.
This is when guilt becomes a form of self-sabotage. It prevents us from doing what we want to do even when what we want is appropriate.
Some people feel guilty just for being happy or having fun, as if they were violating some long forgotten contract.
When this happens, Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townshend, in their book, Boundaries, talk about 10 steps to take to get over this unnecessary feeling.
1. Own the guilt - recognize that it's there and within you.
2. Evaluate where the guilt is coming from and why it is there.
3. Get into your support system - know that you are doing what's best for yourself.
4. Become aware of any anger (in case it creeps up on you in the process).
5. Forgive the person who is causing the guilt.
6. Set boundaries for yourself and get used to your supportive sub-conscience.
7. Learn and read more self-motivating information to help guide you.
8. Don't let the guilt be your master - disobey that parental sub-conscious.
9. Stay with your support system and surround yourself with people who love you.
10. Don't let the guilt hold you back. You're allowed to feel it, because it will be there. But it can be comforted and eventually, it will go away.
Follow these steps and you will be on the path that you have chosen. With this, you can make your life whatever you want it to be.
About the author: Watch the free video The AHA! Process: An End to Self-Sabotage and discover the lost keys to personal transformation and emotional well-being that have been suppressed by mainstream mental health for decades.
The information in this video has been called the missing link in mental health and personal development. In a world full of shallow, quick-fix techniques, second rate psychology and pharmaceutical takeovers, real solutions have become nearly impossible to find. Click here to watch the presentation that will turn your world upside down.