(NaturalNews) Elderberries, also known as Sambucus, have been used in natural medicine for decades. These small, dark berries grow on the Elder Tree and have been known to have incredible benefits throughout the body.
Known benefits of elderberries
1. Immune system booster: Elderberries provide a boost to the immune system and are extremely high in vitamin C.
2. High in antioxidants: They help fight free radicals in the body. Lower levels of free radicals are associated with lower rates of stroke and heart disease.
3. Energy Levels: Improves energy levels as ingesting elderberries leads to good overall circulation.
4. Digestive health and weight loss: Elderberries are high in fiber and have a low calorie count.
5. Eye health: The abundance of antioxidants helps prevent eye disease.
6. Prevents infections: Prevents infections, bacteria and viruses from connecting to cells in the body.
7. Anti-inflammatory: Found to prevent inflammation in the body. Inflammation can lead to arthritis, Alzheimer's, and dementia and other diseases.
8. Anti-aging ~ The high levels of antioxidants help reduce the effects of aging.
Recipe for Immune Boost Tonic:
2/3 cup dried elderberries 4 cups water 2 tea bag of Rooibos tea 1 tsp of Cinnamon 2 T fresh or dried Ginger 1/2 tsp of Cloves 1/2 cup raw Honey
1. Pour water into saucepan and add all ingredients except for honey 2. Bring to Boil, Cover and Simmer for 45 minutes 3. Remove from heat, let cool 4. Pour through a strainer 5. When completely cool, add honey and mix completely 6. Store in a glass jar in the refrigerator
Take daily for immune support:
1 tsp. for children 1 T. for adults
If flu comes on:
Take suggested dose every 2-3 hours until symptoms disappear
About the author: Alex is a TRUE Earthie Mama, helping others tune into their most natural state while bringing harmony and balance into all areas of their lives in order to THRIVE. Alex has a well known blog on health, wellness, conscious parenting, green living and getting off the grid to self sustainability. www.earthiemama.com
Please check out her website at www.earthiemama.com She sells all natural products and her Ebooks on Natural Body Care Products and 10 Superfoods and Recipes for Babies and Toddlers.