(NaturalNews) Soda/pop/soft drinks, whatever you choose to call it, is bad for you! Food colorings, preservatives, empty calories, obesity, yellow teeth, decreased bone density, spikes in blood sugar and increased cancer risk are some negative effects of drinking soda. Why continue to drink this toxic substance on a daily basis?
• High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS): Cheap food/beverage sweetener from corn; increases appetite, body fat and cholesterol
• Aspartame: Found in diet sodas and countless foods; breaks down into fomaldehyde (carcinogen), increases appetite and causes weight gain. Diet sodas contain aspartame, a neurotoxin, and recently proven to increase your risk of developing cancer (lymphoma, leukemia and multiple myeloma). A 2012 study found "a positive association between diet soda and total aspartame intake and risks of NHL (non-Hodgkins Lymphoma), multiple myeloma in men and leukemia in both men and women" (Schernhammer, et al., 2012). A similar correlation was also found with non-diet/regular sodas, NHL and multiple myeloma.
• Potassium benzoate: Preservative that can become carcinogenic
• Caramel color: Man-made chemical that is carcinogenic, used for coloring. Linked to thyroid, lung, and liver cancers in laboratory animals.
• Sodium: High amounts in diet soda; speculated to increase stroke risk
• Phosphoric acid: Depletes calcium and magnesium; lowers immunity and increases bone loss
• Caffeine: In excess, can cause an increase in heart rate, anxiety, nervousness, etc.
• Flavor additives/artificial ingredients: Addictive and increase cravings
Serious side effects
Asthma: Some people had chronic reactions (rashes, asthma, eczema); the sodium benzoate preservative in soft drinks may be to blame. Approximately 11 people (in the U.S.) die every day due to asthma; $18 billion dollars annually are spent on asthma in our healthcare system.
Kidney: High phosphoric acid can contribute to kidney stones. Renal stones are more common in white, overweight males.
Sugar: Blood sugar spikes after 20 minutes; creating an insulin rush, liver turns sugar into fat; blood pressure rises, causes liver to put more sugar into the bloodstream after 40 minutes. 45 minutes post-ingestion, dopamine production increases, stimulating the pleasure center of your brain ("physically the same way heroin works").
Heart disease: HFCS increases risk of developing metabolic syndrome (high blood pressure, insulin resistance, belly fat, high cholesterol) and therefore, cardiovascular disease.
Reproductive problems: Soda cans contain BPA, a carcinogen that can cause reproductive issues and endocrine problems.
Osteoporosis: Cola/diet cola drinkers have lower bone mineral density and increased risk of fractures. "Soft drinks contain phosphoric acid; a high phosphate diet has been associated with bone breakdown and an increased risk of osteoporosis. When phosphorus is excreted in the urine, it takes calcium with it, depriving the bones and the rest of the body this important mineral."
Obesity: Risk estimated to increase by 1.6 times for each soda you drink; empty calories cause weight gain. 70 percent of cardiovascular disease is linked to obesity and 42 percent of breast and colon cancers are also associated with obesity.
Diabetes: 80 percent increased risk of developing Type II diabetes.
Stick to water
Soda is similar to cigarettes; both are expensive, addictive, contain toxic chemicals, provide no nutritional benefits and harm our bodies in more ways than one. Yet, both are sold to the public, purchased and consumed on a daily basis by the majority of our population. Soda wreaks havoc on our bodies in multiple ways and can cause serious, long-term, deadly effects. There is no benefit, nutritional or otherwise, to drinking it.
All-natural soda is available at health food stores that contain minimal, safe, ingredients if you must get your soda "fix," but water is best. If you know something causes cancer, diabetes, obesity, heart disease, bone loss, metabolic syndrome, etc., and in no way benefits you, why would you continue to spend your money on it, ingest it, and provide it for your children to consume? Breaking the habit of drinking soda can take some will-power, but it can be done. Think before you drink!
About the author: Dr. Melissa Bartoszewski is a chiropractor at Big D Chiropractic in Dallas, Texas. She is a graduate of New York Chiropractic College. Dr. Bartoszewski is also a raw food and natural healthcare advocate. Follow her on Twitter at PolishChiro and be sure to LIKE her Facebook Fan page at https://www.facebook.com/bigDchiropractic for daily health, exercise, nutrition, wellness, chiropractic tips and much much more!
FREE online report shows how we can save America through a nutrition health care
revolution. "Eating healthy is patriotic!" Click here to read it now...
Healing Power of Sunlight and Vitamin D
In this exclusive interview, Dr. Michael Holick reveals fascinating facts on
how vitamin D is created and used in the human body to ward off chronic diseases
like cancer, osteoporosis, mental disorders and more. Click here to read it now...
Get the Full Story
The International Medical Council on Vaccination has released, exclusively through
NaturalNews.com, a groundbreaking document containing the signatures of physicians,
brain surgeons and professors, all of which have signed on to a document stating
that vaccines pose a significant risk of harm to the health of children.
Click here to read it now...
Ranger Storable Organics
GMO-free, chemical-free foods and superfoods for long-term storage and preparedness.
See selection at www.StorableOrganics.com