(NaturalNews) Even though some food is labeled organic, the seeds may still have come from a GMO source; like if a small to mid-size farmer buys seeds or plants, such as tomatoes, from a Home Depot or Lowe's, and then plants them in organic soil and does not use pesticide, they are still GMO, but they don't get labeled as such. Who knows this? How do you avoid it? Did you know bees will fly 50 miles, cross-pollinating from one farm to another by carrying mutated genes from corporate GMO farms to organic farms. There are lawsuits coming from both sides, and the war that is being waged by the people who don't want to eat pesticide-laden, GENETICALLY MUTATED CROP has just begun. (http://holisticprimarycare.net)
What does "organic" really mean?
Simply stated, organic produce and other ingredients are grown without the use of pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, genetically modified organisms, or ionizing radiation. Also, very important is that the animals that are consumed or produce eggs and milk do not take antibiotics or growth hormones.
Going to a local farmer's market is one wise path, but they still may have bought GM seeds or used pesticides, or both. Most likely, your friendly local farmers have respect and maintain the integrity of their crop, for the sake of their families, their neighbors, and their community.(http://www.organic.org/home/faq)
The USDA National Organic Program (NOP) defines organic as follows:
"Organic food is produced by farmers who emphasize the use of renewable resources and the conservation of soil and water to enhance environmental quality for future generations. Organic meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products come from animals that are given no antibiotics or growth hormones. Organic food is produced without using most conventional pesticides; fertilizers made with synthetic ingredients or sewage sludge; bioengineering; or ionizing radiation. Before a product can be labeled "organic," a Government-approved certifier inspects the farm where the food is grown to make sure the farmer is following all the rules necessary to meet USDA organic standards. Companies that handle or process organic food before it gets to your local supermarket or restaurant must be certified, too."
1. 100 percent Organic: Made with 100 percent organic ingredients
2. Organic: Made with at least 95 percent organic ingredients
3. "Made With Organic Ingredients:" Made with a minimum of 70 percent organic ingredients with strict restrictions on the remaining 30 percent including no GMOs (genetically modified organisms)
Products with fewer than 70 percent organic ingredients may list organically produced ingredients on the side panel, but may not make any organic claims on the front of the package.
Do not trust the USDA!
The USDA is not to be trusted, though. Although their stamp of organic goes a long way, there's no guarantee, and since we've seen the FDA endorse horrific disease-causing foods, additives, chemicals, GMO, and more, you have to be your own investigator.
This is right from the USDA site; they support GMO! "Welcome to the USDA's Agricultural Biotechnology Website: The USDA supports the safe and appropriate use of science and technology, including biotechnology, to help meet agricultural challenges and consumer needs of the 21st century. USDA plays a key role in assuring that products produced using biotechnology are safe to be grown and used in the United States. Once these products enter commerce, USDA supports bringing these and other products to the worldwide marketplace." (In other words, feed the whole world cancer). (http://www.usda.gov)
Have you seen the French scientists' long-term study of GMO effects on rats? The rats get tumors the size of baseballs and die an early death. (http://www.naturalnews.com)
One Nebraska organic farmer, David Vetter, has been testing his corn for GMO contamination. Situated right in the middle of corn country, all around him are farmers growing genetically modified corn and that poses a major problem. Corn is an open-pollinating crop. Wind and insects can carry pollen from a few yards to several miles. Last year, Vetter's organic corn tested positive for genetic contamination. "We've been letting customers who buy in bulk know the situation," says Vetter. (http://www.progressive.org/0901/lil0901.html)
Since one of the heads of the FDA, Michael Taylor, used to be a lobbyist and vice president of Monsanto, don't look for regulations any time soon, especially since Obama appointed him and the re-election is set in stone. Also, watch for articles, lawsuits, and companies that sell out from organic to corporate run pseudo-organic. They are caving by the numbers. It's all about the money, until people get cancer and can't buy their way out of it. (http://www.naturalnews.com)