(NaturalNews) The California Proposition 37 ballot to make GMO (genetically modified organisms) labeling mandatory by state law is approaching. The hope is that if the California popular vote carries it by voting yes, this will set a precedent for other states.
The European Union (EU) might ban GMO corn in light of the recent French study that clearly showed horrific consequences from a lifetime of GMOs fed lab rats.
Most EU nations already mandate GMO labeling. Some EU farmers have uprooted or burned genetically modified Monsanto crop testing fields. Europeans aggressively oppose GMOs. These developments give hope to those of us who oppose biotech interventions into the food chain.
Meanwhile, here in the USA, even health food store chains carry products containing GMOs that are not labeled as such. USA labeling laws require listing ingredients. But Monsanto's influence on government agencies has kept those laws from including GMOs on food labels.
Even if Proposition 37 passes in California, and there is a chance it may not, the rest of us need to be able to avoid genetically modified foods to protect ourselves and families from direct health hazards without labeling.
Enough of a national GMO boycott could at least slow down Monsanto's stated goal of controlling the world's food supply.
GMO avoidance tips
(1) Two labels will help you know whether or not you're looking at food genetically modified or containing GMOs: USDA (or other agency) certified organic or the None GMO Verified seal from the non-GMO project, a non-government group that inspects foods from provider members. View the seal here (http://www.nongmoshoppingguide.com/non-gmo-project-seal.html).
Unfortunately, neither label is an absolute 100% guarantee that there are no slight traces of GMOs. Nearby GMO crops of the same type you purchase can pollute even organic crops and still be USDA approved as organic.
(2)Which infectious GMO crops should be avoided unless clearly designated organic? Almost all corn, and soy crops in the USA and Canada are genetically modified. A lot of cotton is and canola is genetically modified. Avoid those cotton seed and canola oils. Beet sugar can come from genetically modified beets.
(3) Nearly 80 percent of packaged foods contain GMOs. These need to have one or both of the labels mentioned earlier. Besides causing liver damage, high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) or corn syrup sweeteners come from GMO corn. Another toxic sweetener, aspartame, is also a GMO.
(4) Realize that the term "natural" on a food product is meaningless for determining an organic or non-GMO food product. It's simply deceptive marketing.
(5) Non - organic milk and milk products are usually from cows fed GMO corn or soy. Even worse, one-third of commercial milking cows are injected with patented Monsanto GMO growth hormones called recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH).
If dairy is not labeled organic or grass fed, at least look for a labels that says no hormones or rBGH. Traces of pus or blood from rBGH cows' udder infections is not nutritious. Meat eaters should avoid factory farm meats that are fed GMOs and injected with antibiotics. Look for organic grass fed.
(6) Avoid packaged cereals unless the logos from section (1) are present. If you have children, train them patiently to not demand those cereals in brightly colored boxes. Most are full of GMOs, even if they say "natural" or appear in health food stores.
In case you're not convinced about the dangers of GMOs, or there's someone you're trying to convince, or if you need to review and expand your awareness, go here to begin your research (http://www.naturalnews.com).
FREE online report shows how we can save America through a nutrition health care
revolution. "Eating healthy is patriotic!" Click here to read it now...
Healing Power of Sunlight and Vitamin D
In this exclusive interview, Dr. Michael Holick reveals fascinating facts on
how vitamin D is created and used in the human body to ward off chronic diseases
like cancer, osteoporosis, mental disorders and more. Click here to read it now...
Get the Full Story
The International Medical Council on Vaccination has released, exclusively through
NaturalNews.com, a groundbreaking document containing the signatures of physicians,
brain surgeons and professors, all of which have signed on to a document stating
that vaccines pose a significant risk of harm to the health of children.
Click here to read it now...
Ranger Storable Organics
GMO-free, chemical-free foods and superfoods for long-term storage and preparedness.
See selection at www.StorableOrganics.com