(NaturalNews) Whether concern stems from the possible exposure to drifting radiation from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in Japan or from every day sources of non-ionizing radiation (i.e., cell phones, computers, Wi-Fi, smart meters, etc.), exposure to radiation is a reality.
The constant exposure to electromagnetic fields results in DNA fragmentation which can lead to cancers of the parotid salivary gland, the thyroid gland, and the head. Kids are even more susceptible, with evidence of brain and spinal tumors appearing in children exposed to radiation.
Powerwatch, a non-profit organization prominent in the United Kingdom Electromagnetic Field and Microwave Radiation health debate, shares further consequences resulting from exposure to radiation, including:
• Cognitive dysfunction • Failed pregnancies • Certain types of dementia • Overtiredness • Compromised immune system function • Headaches
Protection from radiation and its impending consequences is imperative as well as feasible through safe, natural sources.
Potassium iodide, simply composed of the elements potassium and iodine, is the most familiar solution for protection from radiation exposure. Potassium iodide, taken in supplement form, is also used to treat overactive thyroid.
While natural, does it work? Is it safe?
Potassium iodide is effective, yet contraindicated for a multitude of medications, can damage the thyroid, and brings with it other side effects in the form of:
• Red, bumpy, itchy skin • Painful joints • Facial and body swelling
After using potassium iodide for a long period of time, a series of other serious health complications may also surface.
The natural approach
A strong, healthy thyroid is the best protection from radioactive iodine-131 (nuclear power plant steam), and EMF exposure. Steven Schacter, author of Fighting Radiation with Food, Herbs and Vitamins, explains, "If sufficient amounts of natural iodine are available, radioactive iodine will not be absorbed." Schacter advises eating seaweed (kelp) to obtain natural iodine.
Eating foods naturally high in iodine will supply the thyroid with adequate amounts of iodine, discouraging the absorption of radioactive iodine, and protecting it from EMF damage.
These foods are high in iodine and part of a natural, safe approach.
• Other seaweeds and sea vegetables • Cranberries or cranberry juice • Potatoes with the skin • Beans - especially navy beans • Himalayan crystal salt
For protection from cancers induced from radiation eat a variety of:
Dark leafy greens and orange starchy foods - (sweet potatoes, winter squash, carrots).
• Milk thistle - a proven detoxifier • Siberian ginseng - facilitates overall cellular health, strengthens body against all types of stress, including cancer treatments • Curcumin - antioxidant and scientifically proven anti-inflammatory, protects and helps tissue healing • Ecklonia cava - antioxidant seaweed extract • Drink plenty of pure water every day to eliminate toxins • Visual imagery - the power of positive thinking through the visualization of wellness throughout the body
Loss of minerals
Radiation exposure sets the stage for the release of specific minerals from the body which are necessary for optimal protection from electromagnetic fields.
These minerals are:
• Potassium • Lithium • Magnesium • Copper • Calcium • Selenium - especially important as a co-factor of iodine for cell regeneration and protection
Because the body works synergistically to heal and protect, consume a variety of organic, whole plant-based foods in a variety of colors to guarantee a good supply of antioxidants and the elimination of free radicals.
Multi-vitamin supplements are a poor substitute but may be used from time to time to cover any missing nutrients.
It's not practical in today's society to completely eradicate all sources of radiation; however, the best protection comes from minimizing exposure in the first place. This approach along with the others mentioned here offers the best scenario for minimizing the dangerous effects of radiation exposure.
About the author: Since falling prey to a violent reaction to his cell phone in 2002 Lloyd Burrell has spent more than 10 years researching the effects of electromagnetic fields (EMFs) on health. He is the author of an eBook entitled "How To Beat Electrical Sensitivity" which offers a solution to the growing number of people whose health is being compromised by exposure to wireless and similar technologies.