(NaturalNews) We've all heard the term "mangy dog," which is usually applied jokingly or derogatorily to disheveled and/or disreputable people. However, actual mangy dogs are no laughing matter since the disease known as mange can be both dangerous and result in considerable suffering. Fortunately for such dogs and their owners, there are a number of natural remedies that can eliminate mange.
Mange is an inflammatory disease most often found in dogs. This condition results from an infestation of mites in the skin and hair follicles. Anybody who has treated a dog with mange using conventional treatment knows exactly how ill their pet can become.
There are two types of mange that affect dogs. The most common type is demodectic mange (also known as red mange), and the less common one is sarcoptic mange: each named after the type of mite which has infested the dog. Actually, healthy dogs very often house a small community of demodectic mites on their skin. It is when the dog's immune system becomes compromised allowing the mites to overpopulate that mange results.
Left untreated, mange can become life threatening. Symptoms include alopecia (hair loss), skin lesions, dehydration, weight loss, excessive scratching, and loss of appetite. Mange can surface throughout the body, with crusty patches appearing on the head, face, ears, and neck. The hair loss can be severe enough to show patches of baldness. A crusty discharge sometimes emanates from the ears and brown marks may appear on and around the nose.
The following remedies have been effective in preventing and treating a pet with mange:
* A mixture of hydrogen peroxide and borax is one of the best remedies used for mange. However, be sure to not confuse borax with boric acid. Use one to two tablespoons of borax for every 500 cc of 1% hydrogen peroxide, making sure that it thoroughly dissolves. Bathe the dog in it once a week. Do not rinse off and do not wipe the dog dry. Let the solution dry naturally so that it can be absorbed by the skin. Please note that this treatment should not be used longer than a two month period.
* Regular bathing and brushing helps remove scaly skin and scabs.
* Colloidal silver is an excellent way of ridding the body of any type of infection. Apply topically to all affected areas, including the inside of the ears and also put in the dog's water daily.
* Acidophilus is effective in eliminating mange from inside the ears. Wash the inside of the ears with no more than two tablespoons of plain yogurt.
* Raw apple cider vinegar is effective when applied topically and when mixed in the dog's meal. One tablespoon mixed in his food should be sufficient.
* A couple of drops of olive oil applied to the mangy skin patches not only will soothe the irritated skin, but will also be effective in killing the mites.
* Drop a sliced lemon with the peels still left in tact into boiling water and let steep overnight. Using a sponge, apply the mixture to the dog's coat.
* Honey has astonishing antiseptic, antioxidant, and cleansing qualities. Apply raw honey to affected areas.
* Make sure to wash all bedding and keep it as sterile as possible until the dog recovers.
Feeding a dog properly and adding dietary supplements is an important part of healing. A raw diet is strongly recommended, as it facilitates healing and is the best way to insure your pet's health.
Supplements that help alleviate itch and improve skin conditions are vitamin E, vitamin C, and fish oil.
Luella May is a natural health advocate helping people to heal naturally. Luella is in the midst of editing her ebook, "The 8 Invisible Stains of Our Souls" which will be available in the next few months. She partners with Tony Isaacs, who authors of books and articles about natural health including "Cancer's Natural Enemy" and "Collected Remedies" Luella contributes to The Best Years in Life website for baby boomers and others wishing to avoid prescription drugs and mainstream managed illness and live longer, healthier and happier lives naturally. Luella co-moderates the CureZone "Ask Tony Isaacs" forum as well as the Yahoo Health Group "Oleander Soup" and hosts her own yahoo group focusing on the natural wellbeing of pets "
FREE online report shows how we can save America through a nutrition health care
revolution. "Eating healthy is patriotic!" Click here to read it now...
Healing Power of Sunlight and Vitamin D
In this exclusive interview, Dr. Michael Holick reveals fascinating facts on
how vitamin D is created and used in the human body to ward off chronic diseases
like cancer, osteoporosis, mental disorders and more. Click here to read it now...
Get the Full Story
The International Medical Council on Vaccination has released, exclusively through
NaturalNews.com, a groundbreaking document containing the signatures of physicians,
brain surgeons and professors, all of which have signed on to a document stating
that vaccines pose a significant risk of harm to the health of children.
Click here to read it now...
Ranger Storable Organics
GMO-free, chemical-free foods and superfoods for long-term storage and preparedness.
See selection at www.StorableOrganics.com