(Natural News) It’s natural for parents to worry about their kids during flu season, especially amid the Wuhan coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Make sure your whole family can keep their hands clean even when there’s no soap and running water with a DIY hand sanitizer made with essential oils. (h/t to ReadyNutrition.com)
Why use hand sanitizer?
Ideally, your whole family should wash their hands regularly with soap and running water to maintain proper hygiene and to prevent the spread of germs that may cause disease. But if you don’t have access to water, you can keep your hands clean with homemade hand sanitizers that don’t contain harmful chemicals.
When you make hand sanitizer at home, you can personalize it by using your favorite essential oils. However, it’s best to use 70 percent isopropyl alcohol because alcohol-based hand sanitizers with at least 70 percent alcohol, such as ethyl alcohol, can help kill 99.9 percent of germs 30 seconds after application.
Rubbing alcohol can also denature proteins. The only germs they do not kill are common ones like salmonella, E. coli, MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) and the norovirus.
The medicinal properties of essential oils
Essential oils aren’t just used for aromatherapy or for making your home smell nice.
In traditional medicine, essential oils are used to relieve symptoms of different ailments and for complementary treatments. The use of essential oils for medicinal purposes dates back to 4500 B.C. when ancient Egyptians discovered that oils and aromatics could be used to treat various illnesses. (Related: Prepper projects: How to make DIY foaming hand soap.)
Chinese medicine also uses herbal concoctions and essential oils. Some of the benefits of essential oils have not yet been clinically tested, but data suggests that these oils may offer health benefits when used properly.
These essential oils have antibacterial properties:
- Tea tree
The following essential oils have been studied due to their potential antiviral benefits:
These essential oils have antimicrobial action that can also help fight germs:
Try these suggestions for hand sanitizer essential oil scent combinations:
- Try a clean and simple classic combination by using five drops of grapefruit oil, five drops of lemon oil and five drops of thyme oil.
- Looking for something calming and preventative? Try a calming combination of 10 drops of lavender oil and five drops of lemon oil.
- Four thieves oil is a combination with germ-fighting potential. This scent combines five drops each of cinnamon, clove, eucalyptus, lemon and rosemary.
Here are more essential oil combinations to try:
- Three drops of cinnamon, four drops of lemon and three drops of Eucalyptus Radiata essential oil.
- Three drops of bergamot, three drops of lavender and four drops of spearmint essential oil.
Making your own hand sanitizer is cost-effective and it ensures that the final product is made with non-toxic ingredients you can find at home.
DIY hand sanitizer with essential oils
To make this hand sanitizer, you will need aloe vera, isopropyl alcohol and your preferred blend of essential oils.
You will need:
- 2-ounce Plastic spray bottle
- 1 Tablespoon of pure aloe vera
- 1.5 ounces of 70 percent isopropyl alcohol
- 15 Drops of your favorite essential oil
- Combine all the ingredients in the plastic spray bottle.
- Shake well to combine all ingredients. Adjust the scent by adding more essential oils as needed.
Homemade hand sanitizer is a great prepper project because it smells amazing and protects you from germs and bacteria. The aloe vera also helps moisturize your skin.