(Natural News) As a prepper, it’s important to know how to treat minor health complaints with home remedies and natural cures that you can find in your homestead. When SHTF, you can rest assured that you have the cure for minor ailments without having to leave your house. (h/t to AskAPrepper.com)
Natural remedies for migraine
A migraine is a neurological condition often characterized by intense, debilitating headaches. Migraine symptoms include nausea, sensitivity to light and sound and vomiting.
If you have migraines, do your best to prevent them. But keep in mind that what works for one person may not always work for you.
For starters, you can keep a food diary to list down any trigger foods and add more leafy greens to your regular diet. According to migraine sufferers, drinking a green smoothie every morning can help reduce the frequency of migraine attacks.
To relieve a migraine, try combining lavender essential oil with a carrier oil. Rub a few drops of diluted lavender oil onto your temples or inhale the scent for relief.
Mint (Mentha piperita) or peppermint can be used to make a migraine tonic. Sip on peppermint tea or make a cold compress with several drops of mint essential oil diluted in a carrier oil, then apply directly to the forehead. (Related: Survival medicine: Home remedies for digestive problems, the flu and stress relief.)
Natural remedies for insomnia
Chronic insomnia can affect mental focus and overall health, which are crucial factors if you want to survive when SHTF. If you are having trouble falling asleep, try the home remedies below:
- Chamomile is a sedative herb. It’s considered safe for children and adults. Use chamomile essential oil in your bathwater or drink calming chamomile tea.
- Drink lavender tea to promote restful sleep. Alternatively, you can add several drops of lavender essential oil in a diffuser in your bedroom.
- Drink tart cherry juice before going to sleep. Cherry juice is full of melatonin, which helps regulate your sleep cycle.
Natural pain relievers
Anti-inflammatory herbs can help address pain caused by inflammation in your muscles, joints or tendons.
To relieve pain from conditions like arthritis, back pain, fibromyalgia or nerve pains, try using medicinal herbs such as:
- Devil’s claw
- Capsaicin (found in peppers and applied topically)
- Clove oil (applied topically)
Natural diabetes treatments
If you have Type 2 diabetes, you can naturally manage your condition with a balanced diet, regular exercise and herbal remedies. You can also try going on a low-carb ketogenic diet to effectively manage your blood sugar.
Note that if you go on a keto diet, it will take several days or weeks until you notice any changes in your blood sugar. If you have high blood sugar (hyperglycemia), regular exercise can help bring down your blood sugar levels, along with a low-carb diet.
Try these herbs, which can help stimulate insulin production and reduce blood glucose levels:
- Aloe vera gel
- Bitter gourd
- Fenugreek seeds (increases insulin production)
- Indian gooseberry (amla)
On the other hand, low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) can be addressed by consuming whole fruits or homemade fruit juice. You can also use these stabilizing herbs regularly to manage your blood sugar levels:
- Holy basil
Natural remedies for prostate issues
An enlarged prostate caused by benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) causes symptoms such as frequent urination, difficulty in voiding, urinary leakage and urinary tract infections.
Men with BPB can manage their condition by following a diet that incorporates medicinal herbs with foods rich in vitamins and minerals such as:
- Cranberries or cranberry juice, to prevent urinary tract infections.
- Echinacea, garlic and goldenseal to minimize inflammation.
- Pygeum bark, which helps with emptying the bladder and increases urine flow.
- Quercetin, which helps prevent the growth of prostate cancer cells and reduces symptoms of prostate infection.
- Saw palmetto, which is rich in beta-Sitosterol and plant sterols that relieve BPH symptoms.
- Foods rich in zinc and vitamins B6 and D3.
Natural remedies for constipation
Chronic constipation can become very painful. Taking natural laxatives will help draw fluid into the bowel and cause muscle contractions, which help move the bowel.
When suffering from constipation, consume more fiber-rich foods like fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts and seeds. Take care not to overdo it to avoid gastrointestinal (GI) pain.
Herbs like psyllium, rhubarb and slippery elm can help relieve severe or chronic constipation.
Treating heart conditions naturally
Heart problems are linked to conditions like high blood pressure and high cholesterol, which may then be linked to high blood sugar and other health problems. To improve your heart health, you also need to address these conditions.
Hawthorn can boost heart health, lower blood pressure and reduce chest pain. The plant can improve your heart’s ability to pump and keep a regular rhythm.
Consuming foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids like fish oil can help reduce the risk of irregular heart rhythms and palpitations. Omega-3s also help reduce high blood pressure.
Natural remedies for allergies
If your allergies bother you all-year-round, you can address your condition naturally by:
- Boosting your immune system with apple cider vinegar, which breaks up mucus.
- Adding garlic, ginger and onion to your diet to help break down and remove toxins from the body.
- Taking stinging nettle (Urtica dioica), a natural antihistamine. It relieves inflammation and allergic response.
Before SHTF, stock up on these natural remedies. Plant medicinal herbs in your survival garden so you can easily harvest them when your family needs natural relief from conditions like migraines or constipation.