(Natural News) When it comes to disasters, they can strike anywhere and at any time. Whether you’re worried about an oncoming storm or prepping yourself for a major SHTF scenario, it’s never a bad idea to prepare. One of the most essential things any prepper should know is how to establish their own stockpiles, especially when worse comes to worst. However, knowing what items you’ll need to add to your stockpile is also an important thought every prepper should ponder to maximize their survival chances.
Best items to keep for emergencies
Similar to all other aspects of prepping, you only need to store what’s necessary: Anything less would simply be wasted space. Your items should be based on what you need for specific emergencies and what your budget can get you. Some items require you to stock up on a lot and preserve only for when you need them most. Other items, like toothbrushes and food, might see more regular usage. Below you can find a list of things any prepper should add to their emergency stockpile. (Related: Don’t forget these 53 items when stocking up for emergencies.)
- Backpack. A bug-out bag is an essential item for any prepper. If things get too rough and you need to get out of Dodge as soon as you can, having a bug-out bag available can mean the difference between life and death. While the brand does not necessarily matter, having a large and sturdy backpack can make it significantly easier to keep your emergency gear in place.
- Flashlights. If you find yourself roaming around in the dark, having a handy light source available can ease your worries about traversing through dark and uncharted territory. Ensure that your flashlight has a toggle-able switch instead of something you need to squeeze just in case you need to keep your hands free. If flashlights aren’t your cup of tea, you can also try using headlamps as an alternative.
- Multitools. Instead of having multiple specialized tools in your stockpile, you can save space and money by keeping a multitool around. From a pair of pliers to a small knife, these tools can give you the versatility you need to stay alive in any survival situation.
- First-aid kits. If you find yourself injured in a survival scenario, your chances of getting through becomes slim. However, if you have a first aid kit at your disposal – in addition to knowledge on general first aid – an injury could become just a temporary problem instead of a permanent one.
- Hand-crank radio. Even in the most extreme of situations, someone, somewhere, will probably be broadcasting something. Having a hand-crank radio with you to pick up on these transmissions could net you valuable information that could potentially save your life.
- Matches. Fire is, perhaps, one of the most versatile tools available in any survivalist’s arsenal. It can warm you up, cook your food and provide light to the surrounding area. However, you won’t be able to enjoy these benefits if you have no means to light a fire yourself. While there are more traditional ways to light a fire, having matches on hand trivializes the process.
- Entertainment. One of the things preppers tend to overlook is a means to entertain themselves in times of crisis. Mental health is just as important as physical health when it comes to survival and having something to play with – like playing cards or board games – can help relieve stress and ease the mind.
It’s always important to keep up a good stock of the essentials in case of emergencies. However, if you do need to prepare, it’s always best to do it as early as possible to get the best selection and prices on whatever items you choose.
Learn more stockpiling strategies at Preparedness.news.