(Natural News) Cardiac arrhythmia is a group of conditions that cause irregular heartbeat. These conditions can make the heart beat too fast or too slow, making your heart feel like it is racing or skipping a beat – and either one can be dangerous.
An individual suffering from arrhythmia may also experience shortness of breath, dizziness, or lightheadedness. If left untreated, cardiac arrhythmia can result in serious or life-threatening consequences.
Because of this, proper treatment is important. However, conventional treatments for arrhythmia are expensive and cause harmful side effects. Moreover, doctors typically opt for the surgical route, such as implanting pacemakers or cauterizing damaged heart tissue.
For those who are suffering from arrhythmia and want to avoid surgical or drug intervention, there are safer, all-natural solutions. One of these is to take certain nutrients. A risk factor for cardiac arrhythmia is chronic deficiency of certain micronutrients, especially the following:
- Coenzyme Q10 – CoQ10 can be found in organ meats, broccoli, cauliflower, and fatty fish. You need 5 to 30 milligrams (mg) of this nutrient daily.
- Carnitine – This micronutrient can be found predominantly in red meat. If you are limiting your intake of red meat however, you can get carnitine from beans, chicken, and fish. The suggested daily minimum doses for carnitine is 30 to 150 mg.
- Vitamin C – Also known as ascorbic acid, vitamin C can be obtained from citrus fruits, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, red or green peppers, and green leafy vegetables. Take 600 to 3,000 mg of vitamin C to meet the daily minimum dose.
- Magnesium and calcium – Magnesium and calcium are listed together because of their synergistic effect on heart muscle contraction. You can get these minerals from fish, nuts, and seeds. Take 40 to 200 mg of magnesium and 30 to 150 mg of calcium to meet the daily requirements.
- B vitamins – B vitamins, such as vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12, and biotin, from foods like beans, eggs, leafy greens, meat, nuts, and seeds. You only need 20 to 100 mg of vitamin B12 and 40 to 200 mg for vitamins B3 and B5.
Overall, these micronutrients can be good for cardiovascular health because they help the heart create and conduct electrical impulses. Without these electrical impulses, the heart is at risk of misfiring. These micronutrients will help correct an irregular heartbeat and prevent it from getting worse.
Other alternative treatments for relieving arrhythmia
In addition to getting enough of the micronutrients mentioned, there are more ways to relieve arrhythmia.
A review of studies published in the Heart & Lung journal found that 87 to 100 percent of participants exhibited normal heart rhythm after using acupuncture. However, the review suggested that more studies and clinical trials are needed.
Another study, which was published in the Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology, reported that acupuncture may protect against abnormal heart rhythm after cardioversion for atrial fibrillation. This procedure resets the rhythm of the heart either with chemicals or electricity. (Related: Pins and needles: How acupuncture can help soothe an irregular heartbeat.)
Omega-3 fatty acids
The consumption of fatty fish and other foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids can reduce the risk of heart disease and prevent arrhythmia, according to the American Heart Association (AHA). The AHA suggests eating at least two servings of fatty fish, such as albacore (longfin) tuna, herring, mackerel, salmon, and sardines, every week. One serving is equal to 3.5 ounces of cooked fish.
Hawthorn is a medicinal plant that was commonly used in ancient Roman rituals and has been used since the Middle Ages to treat various ailments, including heart conditions. Today, some people use it to treat congestive heart failure. This herb is also said to help with irregular heartbeat. However, more studies are needed to evaluate its effectiveness in treating arrhythmia.
Learn more natural ways of treating and preventing cardiovascular problems at ReverseHeartDisease.news.