(Natural News) Smoothie bowls are more filling than regular smoothies, and making them with fresh, organic ingredients produces a simple but nutritious snack. If you want to boost your fiber intake and improve your digestive health, try making a ginger cauliflower smoothie bowl.
The health benefits of cauliflower
The ginger cauliflower smoothie bowl recipe below is from Nicole Gaffney, the author of the cookbook “The Art of the Smoothie Bowl.” The recipe includes a unique and nutrient-rich vegetable base: cauliflower.
Low in calories but high in vitamins, cauliflower contains a lot of essential vitamins and minerals.
A cup of raw cauliflower (128 grams) contains the following nutrients:
- 25 calories
- 3 grams of fiber
- Vitamin C (77 percent of the Recommended Daily Intake [RDI])
- Vitamin K (20 percent of the RDI)
- Folate (14 percent of the RDI)
- Vitamin B6 (11 percent of the RDI)
- Potassium (nine percent of the RDI)
- Manganese (eight percent of the RDI)
- Pantothenic acid (seven percent of the RDI)
- Magnesium (Four percent of the RDI)
- Phosphorus (Four percent of the RDI)
Cauliflower is full of antioxidants that can protect your cells from free radical damage and inflammation.
Like other cruciferous vegetables, cauliflower is rich in glucosinolates and isothiocyanates. These two groups of antioxidants help slow the growth of cancer cells. According to test-tube studies, glucosinolates and isothiocyanates help prevent breast, colon, lung, and prostate cancer.
Cauliflower also contains carotenoid and flavonoid antioxidants with anti-cancer effects. These antioxidants help lower the risk of other conditions like heart disease. (Related: Cancer-fighting cauliflower is having its moment in the spotlight as the new kale.)
Cauliflower is rich in vitamin C, which functions as an antioxidant. The vitamin also has anti-inflammatory effects that can strengthen your immunity and lower heart disease risk.
Cauliflower is full of fiber, which is good for your overall well-being. One cup of cauliflower contains three grams of fiber or about 10 percent of your daily need.
The fiber in cauliflower feeds the good bacteria in your gut, minimizing inflammation and promoting digestive health. Following a fiber-rich diet helps prevent digestive conditions like constipation, diverticulitis, and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
A diet rich in high-fiber vegetables such as cauliflower also lowers your risk of developing various diseases like cancer, diabetes, and heart disease. Additionally, fiber helps prevent obesity by promoting fullness and reducing your overall calorie intake.
Cauliflower has several properties that naturally promote weight loss. The vegetable is low in calories, containing only 25 calories per cup. This means you can eat a lot of cauliflower without gaining weight.
Cauliflower is also a great substitute for high-calorie foods like flour and rice.
Since cauliflower is rich in fiber, it supports digestion and promotes satiety. Eating a lot of cauliflower can reduce your calorie intake throughout the day, which is important for weight management.
Cauliflower has a high water content — 92 percent of its weight is made up of water. Eating a lot of low-calorie and water-dense foods promotes weight loss.
Ginger cauliflower smoothie bowl recipe
If you’re worried about how this smoothie bowl will taste, rest assured that the taste of cauliflower will not overpower that of the other ingredients. Cauliflower has a very mild taste that combines well with the refreshing flavors of spicy ginger, sweet peaches, and tart raspberries.
This recipe makes enough for one serving.
- 5 peach slices
- 2 cups frozen peaches
- ½ cup frozen cauliflower
- ¼ cup apple juice (add more as needed)
- 2 tablespoons (tbsp) frozen raspberries
- 1 tbsp sliced or slivered almonds
- ½ tsp ginger (freshly grated)
- Fresh raspberries
- Add the apple juice, frozen cauliflower, frozen peaches, frozen raspberries, and ginger to a blender or food processor. Blend on high.
- Use a tamper tool or a clean spoon to smash down the ingredients. Stop to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Blend until the mixture is smooth. Add more apple juice, one tablespoon at a time, so the smoothie is easier to blend.
- Put the mixture in a bowl and arrange the sliced peaches and raspberries on top. Sprinkle the sliced almonds on top, then serve immediately.
Have a ginger cauliflower smoothie bowl if you need a delicious and nutritious snack that can also boost your gut health.