(Natural News) In this review, researchers from different universities in China systematically summarized the chemical composition and medicinal properties of mulberry, which is used to treat diabetes. This article was published in The American Journal of Chinese Medicine.
- Diabetes mellitus (DM) is a serious metabolic disorder that affects numerous people all over the world.
- Traditional herbal medicines are still widely used today to treat and prevent DM despite the developments in modern medicine.
- Asian countries consider traditional herbal medicines as important therapeutic treatments for DM.
- For centuries, China has used mulberry to treat DM.
- Numerous preclinical findings have demonstrated the potential of mulberry as an alternative treatment for DM.
- According to studies, the active components of mulberry that make it medicinal include polyhydroxylated alkaloids, flavonoids, and polysaccharides.
- The researchers systematically reviewed the biological activities of mulberry on DM, in particular, its effects on glucose absorption, insulin production and secretion, oxidation, and inflammation.
- They also discussed the challenges, opportunities, and the direction of future research on mulberry, as well as the potential for developing mulberry into pharmaceuticals for the treatment of DM.
The researchers hope that further research can be made on mulberry so that its therapeutic potential can be fully utilized for the treatment of DM.
For more information about natural medicines that can stop diabetes, visit PreventDiabetes.news.
Wei H, Liu S, Liao Y, Ma C, Wang D, Tong J, Feng J, Yi T, Zhu L. A SYSTEMATIC REVIEW OF THE MEDICINAL POTENTIAL OF MULBERRY IN TREATING DIABETES MELLITUS. The American Journal of Chinese Medicine. 2018;46(08):1743–1770. DOI: 10.1142/S0192415X1850088X