(Natural News) Researchers at the Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine looked at the effect of capillary wormwood (Artemisia capillaris) to prevent bone loss. They published in their results in The American Journal of Chinese Medicine.
- For the study, the researchers administered a water extract from capillary wormwood to the receptor activator of nuclear factor kappa-B ligand (RANKL)-induced bone loss model.
- This resulted in significantly preventing osteoporotic bone loss.
- Bone volume and trabecular number were increased, while trabecular separation was increased.
- In addition, capillary wormwood water extract also stimulated osteoblast mineralization from primary osteoblasts.
- Moreover, capillary wormwood water extract treatment significantly suppressed osteoclast formation from bone marrow macrophages.
- These results suggested that water extract from capillary wormwood has a beneficial effect on bone loss as it regulated osteoblast mineralization, osteoclast formation, and bone resorption.
In conclusion, the researchers concluded that capillary wormwood may be a promising herbal medicine used to treat or prevent osteoporotic bone diseases.
For more studies on medicinal plants that support bone health such as capillary wormwood, visit PlantMedicine.news.
Lee CJ, Shim KS, Ma JY. ARTEMISIA CAPILLARIS ALLEVIATES BONE LOSS BY STIMULATING OSTEOBLAST MINERALIZATION AND SUPPRESSING OSTEOCLAST DIFFERENTIATION AND BONE RESORPTION. The American Journal of Chinese Medicine. 17 November 2016; 44(8): 1675-1691. DOI: 10.1142/S0192415X16500944