(Natural News) A study published in the journal Food Science and Human Wellness looked at the renoprotective effects of Chinese chive extracts against chronic kidney failure in mice. The study was carried out by researchers from Hefei University of Technology in China.
- Chinese chive is a well-known green vegetable in China that is used for cooking and in traditional Chinese medicine.
- For the study, the researchers administered adenine to mice to induce chronic kidney failure and treated the mice with water or ethanol extracts of Chinese chive for five weeks.
- The results showed that treatment with Chinese chive water extracts significantly reduced renal pathological damages, serum creatinine, and blood urea nitrogen levels in mice.
- At the same time, Chinese chive water extracts remarkably inhibited oxidative stress and inflammation in the kidneys of mice with chronic kidney failure.
- These results suggested that Chinese chive water extracts could improve the kidney function of mice with chronic kidney failure by increasing antioxidative activity and inhibiting inflammation in the kidneys.
The researchers concluded that Chinese chive water extracts may be used to develop a functional food supplement that can treat chronic kidney failure.
Read the full text of the study at this link.
Read more about Chinese chive and other natural foods that can help with kidney problems at FoodScience.news.
Li QM, Luo JP, Pan LH, Zha XQ. EVALUATION OF RENOPROTECTIVE EFFECT OF CHINESE CHIVE EXTRACTS ON ADENINE-INDUCED CHRONIC RENAL FAILURE. Food Science and Human Wellness. December 2018;7(4):260-265. DOI: 10.1016/j.fshw.2018.10.003