(Natural News) If you’re worrying over an upcoming test or work presentation to the point where you’re irritable, restless, and constantly fatigued, you may be suffering from anxiety. This condition can significantly affect your ability to function at school or work. If you’re having trouble concentrating on daily tasks or sleeping at night, it may be time to try some natural remedies to relieve your anxiety.
The symptoms of anxiety
Modern life is hectic, and anxiety is usually a regular part of life for certain individuals. But if you exhibit some of the symptoms below, you may be suffering from anxiety or an anxiety disorder.
- Avoiding social situations
- Difficulty concentrating
- Excessive worrying
- Feeling agitated
- Irrational fears
- Panic attacks
- Heart palpitations
- Shortness of breath
- Tense muscles
- Trouble falling or staying asleep
While some people experience normal, everyday anxiety over things like school or work, it may be time to seek professional help if your anxiety comes with severe symptoms that interfere with the quality of your life.
Natural remedies for anxiety
There are various natural remedies that you can try to manage your anxiety, such as herbal treatments or natural methods.
Certain herbal treatments produce similar results. Don’t use more than one herbal remedy at a time to avoid negative side effects. Unless a specific dose is indicated for your treatment, take them as directed on the product label. (Related: Take control of your anxiety with these proven natural remedies.)
|Discover how to prevent and reverse heart disease (and other cardio related events) with this free ebook: Written by popular Natural News writer Vicki Batt, this book includes everything you need to know about preventing heart disease, reversing hypertension, and nurturing your cardiac health without medication. Learn More.|
- California poppy with corydalis – California poppy with corydalis is used to address anxiety. The treatment is also used as a natural remedy for sleep disorders. Avoid this treatment if you are pregnant.
- Fennel tea – Drink fennel tea to relieve gastrointestinal upset caused by anxiety. Drink a cup of tea as desired.
- Kava – Kava helps relax muscles and relieve pain. Do not use this herb for more than a few days at a time because it may increase the effects of alcohol and sedatives. Avoid kava if you have liver problems.
- Passionflower – Passionflower is one of the most popular herbs used for managing mental distress. Drink one cup of passionflower tea before going to bed to relieve insomnia. You can drink passionflower tea at least three times a day to manage your anxiety.
- Valerian – Valerian is a natural sleep aid. Take 40 milligrams of the herb three times daily. Avoid valerian if you have any liver problems, or if you are pregnant or nursing.
Always consult a health care provider before you take natural treatments, especially if you are currently taking prescription medicine for anxiety.
Natural methods for anxiety relief
If you are looking for other ways to manage your anxiety, try the natural methods detailed below.
- Acupuncture – According to a 1998 study that was published in The American Journal of Acupuncture, acupuncture combined with psychotherapy helps relieve anxiety. Findings revealed that the benefits of the combined methods lasted for up to one year after treatment. Acupuncture, a component of traditional Chinese medicine, is based on the belief that energy blockages in certain parts of the body result in specific health problems. Acupuncture clears these energy blockages to alleviate various conditions.
- Deep breathing – Deep breathing calms the central nervous system. Try this exercise for the “conscious regulation of breath.” Start by exhaling completely through your mouth, making a loud whoosh sound. Next, inhale quietly through your nose as you mentally count to four. Hold your breath for a count of seven. Finally, exhale loudly through the mouth to a count of eight. Repeat this exercise four times to manage your anxiety.
- Physical exercise and yoga – Different natural methods like exercise and yoga can help treat anxiety. These activities can clear your mind and relieve tension in the body.
- Meditation – Meditation involves focused concentration, which is an effective way to slow down and take control of your mind. Meditation helps you gain clarity in your thinking, which can help you respond better to outside stressors without being overcome by negative feelings like anxiety.
- Music – Sound significantly affects your central nervous system. When you’re feeling anxious, listen to relaxing music to calm your mind and body.
When you find yourself overwhelmed with anxiety, try some of the natural remedies detailed above to manage your condition.