(Natural News) Did you know that aside from oranges, another type of citrus fruit called calamansi (Citrus microcarpa) is also rich in vitamin C? Calamansi can help address the common cold and boost oral health.
What is calamansi?
Calamansi, also called calamondin, is a fruit native to Southeast Asia. It is similar to lemons and limes. Calamansi is extremely sour and it can be used to make a nutritious juice.
Calamansi fruit is usually just an inch in diameter. Like other citrus fruits, calamansi is a segmented fruit that contains juice and seeds inside a thin, smooth peel similar to a tangerine.
Calamansi has 12 calories and only a trace of fat. On average, it has:
- 1.2 grams of dietary fiber
- 57 (international unit) IU of vitamin A
- 7 mg of vitamin C
- 8.4 mg of calcium
- 37 mg of potassium
Consumed moderately, calamansi juice can help treat the common cold or a fever.
The health benefits of calamansi juice
Listed below are the five benefits of calamansi juice.
- It boosts collagen production. Calamansi is full of vitamin C, a vitamin that boosts collagen production in the body. Juice from the fruit can also be used as a natural beauty tonic. Apply calamansi juice topically to even out your skin tone and rejuvenate your skin.
- It boosts kidney health and promotes regular bowel movements. Drink calamansi juice regularly to keep your kidneys healthy. The juice helps reduce foul urine odor and lightens its color. Consuming the juice daily also helps detoxify the colon. Calamansi can improve bowel movement and ease constipation.
- It helps prevent oral problems. Calamansi juice can be used as a natural mouthwash. The vitamin C in the juice helps prevent bleeding gums, gingivitis, and tooth decay. Aside from preventing teeth from loosening, calamansi juice helps remove tooth stains and plaque.
- It strengthens the immune system. Calamansi is rich in minerals and vitamins, especially vitamin C. This vitamin is crucial for building immunity against bacterial and viral infections. Consume calamansi juice daily to boost your immunity against the common cold, flu, and fever. (Related: Calamansi fruit from the Philippines found to be a powerful anticancer food.)
- It promotes weight loss. Calamansi juice is a low-calorie drink that can help promote weight loss. Drink a glass of calamansi juice before meals so you don’t overeat. The juice also helps get rid of stored fats and lowers cholesterol in the body.
Does calamansi juice have any side effects?
Calamansi juice offers many health benefits, but you must always consult a health professional before you start consuming the juice. Don’t drink too much of the juice if you are with child. Citrus fruits like lemon and calamansi can trigger heartburn during pregnancy.
Drinking too much calamansi juice may cause diarrhea, indigestion, or stomach cramps.
How to make calamansi juice
Follow the recipe below to make nutritious calamansi juice.
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 4 cups of water
- 1 cup of calamansi juice
- Add the sugar and one cup of water in a saucepan. Stir occasionally until the sugar dissolves in low heat.
- Discard the seeds and skin from calamansi, then extract the calamansi juice.
- In a pitcher, combine the remaining water, sugar syrup, and calamansi juice. Stir well.
- Keep the juice in the fridge and serve over ice.
Calamansi can also be used as a natural substitute for lemon or lime substitute in many recipes. The tiny citrus fruit can also be used to make dipping sauces, ice cream, jellies, and sorbets.