(Natural News) Today, people’s exposure to toxins has increased. One of the biggest sources of toxin exposure comes from the food you eat. Fortunately, you can flush out toxins from your body through food as well. Here are 12 detoxifying foods you can use:
- Apples: An apple a day really keeps the doctor away. Apples can keep toxins away thanks to its soluble fiber called pectin. In a study published in Phytotherapy Research, researchers found that pectin helps eliminate toxins, such as mercury and lead, from the bloodstream and even reduce bad cholesterol levels.
- Avocado: Avocados are loaded with antioxidants. They are also rich in fatty acids that protect against damage caused by a liver toxin called d-galactosamine, according to a study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.
- Beets: Beets are bright-red vegetables loaded with antioxidants and other health-promoting properties. They are a great detox food because they boost enzymes that support the liver and aid in detoxification, according to a study in the journal Nutrients.
- Blueberries: Blueberries are known to be rich in antioxidants, which is helpful in detoxification as well as in fighting cancer cells.
- Chlorella: This bright green alga can fight inflammation in the liver. To use it, consume at least two teaspoons of chlorella every day for a minimum of eight weeks. You can also mix it with your morning juice or add it to a smoothie.
- Cilantro: Cilantro is a great chelator, which binds to heavy metals and helps the body eliminate them. In particular, it promotes mercury excretion and reduces lead absorption, according to a study in the Scientific World Journal.
- Cruciferous vegetables and leafy greens: Cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, Brussels sprouts, bok choy, and cabbage are great detoxifying foods. Cruciferous vegetables are rich in fiber, which promotes the excretion of toxins through bile and stool. In addition, these vegetables enhance liver health – which filters or detoxifies the blood – through its anticancer, anti-inflammatory, and antiviral effects, according to a study published in the journal of Evidence Based Complementary Alternative Medicine. Leafy green vegetables like spinach and dandelion greens are also great sources of chlorophyll, which is regarded as the best detoxifying plant pigment. Moreover, broccoli has been associated with protection against air pollution, while broccoli sprouts contain enzymes that protect against cancer-causing chemicals.
- Garlic: A popular superfood, garlic can boost detoxification in the body, according to a review published in the Avicenna Journal of Phytomedicine. It has also been found to suppress the activation of cancer-causing substances and protect DNA.
- Ginger: Ginger aids in the detoxification process by helping the digestive system process food and eliminate waste.
- Green tea: Green tea has always been considered to be a healthy drink – and it really is. It is rich in antioxidants, helps keep balance within the body, and protects the body from free radicals that cause aging and degenerative disease. It can also ward off cancer due to its ability to increase the production of detoxification enzymes, according to a study published in the journal of Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention.
- Lemon: Lemons contain citric acid, which can keep the liver functioning well and prevent damage caused by oxidative stress, according to a study published in the Journal of Medicinal Food. The simplest way to consume lemon every day is by making your own lemon water. Just squeeze fresh, organic lemon juice into a glass of water and enjoy.
- Turmeric: Turmeric can protect the liver, heart, kidneys, and others from toxins. Be sure not to consume turmeric alone because you won’t absorb much of it. Try mixing it with black pepper instead for better absorption.
|Discover how to prevent and reverse heart disease (and other cardio related events) with this free ebook: Written by popular Natural News writer Vicki Batt, this book includes everything you need to know about preventing heart disease, reversing hypertension, and nurturing your cardiac health without medication. Learn More.|
Detoxifying will give your body a break and enable its self-cleansing and self-healing processes to occur. In addition to eating detoxifying foods, you can also exercise, drink plenty of water, get enough sleep, and go outdoors to detoxify naturally.