(Natural News) A study published in The American Journal of Chinese Medicine reported that red sage (Salvia miltiorrhiza), also known as Chinese sage, has the ability to suppress the progression of diabetic nephropathy due to its antioxidant properties. Diabetic nephropathy is a common cause of chronic kidney disease and end-stage renal disease that can be triggered by oxidative stress.
- Researchers from China and Sri Lanka assessed the renoprotective effect of red sage extract on diabetic nephropathy and analyzed the underlying molecular mechanism in an experimental diabetic nephropathy model.
- To imitate the hyperglycemic conditions in people with diabetic nephropathy, the researchers treated mouse mesangial cells with a high dose of glucose and treated mice with streptozotocin.
- The researchers observed that the treatment with red sage extract reduced metabolic abnormalities associated with hyperglycemic conditions in the experimental diabetic nephropathy model.
- In streptozotocin-induced mice, red sage extract treatment attenuated albuminuria, enhanced renal function, and mitigated the pathological alterations within the glomerulus.
- Red sage extract also inhibited high glucose-induced reactive oxygen species both in the cells and mice.
In sum, these findings indicate that red sage extract reduces the progression of diabetic nephropathy, which may be attributed to its antioxidant properties.
To read more studies on Chinese medicines like red sage, visit ChineseMedicine.news.
An L, Zhou M, Marikar FMMT, Hu X-W, Miao Q-Y, Li P, Chen J. SALVIA MILTIORRHIZA LIPOPHILIC FRACTION ATTENUATES OXIDATIVE STRESS IN DIABETIC NEPHROPATHY THROUGH ACTIVATION OF NUCLEAR FACTOR ERYTHROID 2-RELATED FACTOR 2. The American Journal of Chinese Medicine. 26 September 2017; 45(7): 1441-1457. DOI: 10.1142/S0192415X17500781