(Natural News) The flu is contagious and when SHTF, the last thing you need is your survival group getting sick and weak. Thankfully, preppers are familiar with some herbal tea recipes that can help you beat the flu. (h/t to PrepperWebsite.com)
Soothing coconut oil tea recipe
Flu medicine may cause diarrhea, dizziness, headaches, or vomiting. To avoid these side effects, try drinking herbal teas that can also boost your overall well-being.
This recipe for soothing coconut oil tea combines these powerful ingredients:
- Coconut oil – About 50 percent of the fatty acid in coconut oil is lauric acid. When you digest coconut oil, it forms the monoglyceride monolaurin. Both lauric acid and monolaurin can boost the immune system so you can fight off bacteria and viruses.
- Lemon essential oil (EO) – Lemon essential oil helps cleanse the body and promotes digestion. It can also promote healthy respiratory function, fight free radicals with its antioxidant benefits, and relieve an irritated throat.
- Lime essential oil – Lime essential oil helps support healthy immune function. It is also used as an aromatic and internal cleanser to promote emotional balance and well-being. (Related: Essential oils and herbal teas to fight the flu.)
- Raw honey – Honey helps soothe a cough or sore throat. Additionally, honey can strengthen white blood cells that fight off bacterial and viral infections.
- 1 mug of hot (not boiling) water
- 1 tablespoon (tbsp) of coconut oil
- 1/2 tbsp of raw honey
- 5 drops of lemon essential oil
- 5 drops of lime essential oil
- 1-2 drops Roman chamomile essential oil (optional, for sleep support)
- 1-2 drops wild orange essential oil (optional, for immune support)
- 1 drop peppermint or ginger essential oil (optional, for digestive support)
- Add the coconut oil and honey to a mug of hot water. Don’t use boiled water because it may compromise the benefits of the raw honey and the essential oils. Stir until the coconut oil and honey dissolves.
- Add the essential oils, then drink immediately.
Drink the tea as often as desired. Consume this soothing coconut oil tea before bedtime for best results. You can drink this herbal tea even if you’re not sick because it can help boost your immune system.
Powerful cold and flu tea recipe
This herbal tea recipe combines licorice root, marshmallow root, and mullein leaf. This cold and flu tea has antibacterial, antitussive, antiviral, astringent, and muculent properties.
This natural remedy contains:
- Dried mullein leaf – This can help eliminate most kinds of viruses.
- Dried rose hips – Add dried rose hips to the tea to boost its vitamin C content.
- Licorice root – It can heal damaged tissue and membrane walls.
- Marshmallow root – Marshmallow root is muculent (sticky and viscous) and it can help relieve colds, coughs, and the flu.
- A large tea ball or infuser
- 8 ounces of boiling water
- 2 tbsp of dried mullein leaf
- 2 tbsp dried rose hips
- 2 teaspoons (tsp) of licorice root
- 2 tsp of marshmallow root
- Boil the water.
- Place the herbs in a tea ball or infuser.
- Put the tea ball or infuser in a mug.
- Pour boiling water over the ingredients, then let the tea steep for 30 minutes.
- Let the tea cool down before drinking.
Adults can drink the tea twice or thrice daily for conditions like bronchitis, colds, the flu, pneumonia, a sore throat, or other respiratory infections.
These herbal teas can help prevent the flu. You can also drink these teas regularly if you want to boost your immune system so you won’t get sick in the first place.