(Natural News) More than 38 million Americans suffer from migraines, a type of headache that can be disabling. On average, a migraine can last from four to 72 hours and it can occur as often as three or four times per week. It is commonly associated with an “aura” or a sensory disturbance, which can include visual hallucinations, tingling sensations in the face or hands, blind spots, nausea, vomiting, and sensitivity to sounds and light.
Fortunately, there are many natural home remedies that can alleviate migraine symptoms so that they don’t interfere with your life. Some examples of these include the following:
- Rest — Migraines can serve as indicators that you haven’t been getting enough rest. Try getting some much-deserved shuteye by going to a dark room and lying down for a while. However, if this position makes you feel worse, you can also use a recliner or rocking chair.
- Massage — Treat yourself to massage when you feel a migraine coming. This can help relieve tension in your muscles and alleviate migraine pain. If your circumstances don’t allow for a professional massage, you can just rub your temples and back in a circular motion. This will encourage blood flow to the affected areas of your head and consequently reduce pain.
- Cold compress — Applying a cold compress over your forehead or on the back of your neck will help to soothe and ease migraine pain.
- Warm compress — A warm compress works differently from a cold compress. Instead of numbing the pain, it relaxes tense muscles that contribute to migraines.
- Acupressure — Find relief from migraine pain by pinching the flap of skin between your thumb and forefinger. You can also try pressing behind your ear on the side of your head that feels most affected by pain.
- Deep breathing — Prevent an incoming migraine by doing deep breathing exercises. A commonly used technique for this purpose involves breathing in for six counts, holding it for three, and then letting it out for six counts. You can also try doing some yoga since this exercise stresses proper breathing techniques that can help with your migraine.
- Stretching — Sitting at your desk for the entire day can lead to migraines. Prevent this by performing some stretches every once in a while. This promotes blood flow to your head and neck areas and relieves migraine symptoms.
- Essential oils — Many essential oils have proven to be effective natural remedies against migraines. These include peppermint, lavender, citrus, eucalyptus, and basil essential oil. (Related: Dump toxic pharmaceuticals and use lavender essential oil for migraine headache relief instead.)
- Foot soak — Soak your feet in a basin filled with hot water and your favorite essential oil to relieve migraine symptoms. You can also opt for some Epsom salts which help increase magnesium levels in your body. Studies have shown that a deficiency in this nutrient can lead to migraines.
Foods that help relieve migraines
Diet is also an important factor in the prevention and treatment of migraines. There are many foods, including cheese, artificial sweeteners, monosodium glutamate, and sugar, that can serve as migraine triggers. However, there are also a lot of foods that contain important nutrients that help alleviate migraine symptoms. Some examples of these include the following:
- Almonds — Get your daily dose of magnesium from almonds. These nuts are great to snack on and they can even be consumed in the form of milk
- Ginger — Eating ginger can help reduce the pain and inflammation associated with migraines. Furthermore, it helps calm the digestive system and prevents nausea.
- Salmon — Salmon is rich in omega-3 and other healthy fatty acids that can alleviate pain and inflammation.
- Whole grains — Increasing your intake of whole grains like oatmeal and millet provides you with the necessary B-vitamins and magnesium that help alleviate migraine symptoms.
- Spinach — This famous superfood is rich in vitamin B2, a nutrient that helps reduce pain and inflammation. Moreover, eating more spinach can help keep your skin healthy.
Read more news articles on natural remedies for different health problems by visiting NaturalHealth.news.