(Natural News) Bleomycin (trade name Blenoxane) is a drug used to treat patients with different types of cancer. However, the drug can also cause lung damage. To remedy this, researchers conducted a study to determine if Shenge Yangfei Capsules (SGYF) can help prevent pulmonary fibrosis caused by the use of bleomycin. The researchers studied the effects of the herbal formula, which is used in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), on rat models.
The study was published in the journal Chinese Herbal Medicines.
Can TCM prevent bleomycin-induced lung damage?
The researchers noted that this study is the first to test the antifibrotic effects of SGYF on bleomycin-induced lung injury and fibrosis in rat models. (Related: Chinese medicine’s “tea oil” found to help prevent scarring of lung tissue due to antioxidants.)
In the study, researchers separated the rats into six random groups:
- The saline control group
- The model group – The rats in this group were given five milligrams (mg) of bleomycin per kilogram (kg) of their body weight.
- The positive control group – The subjects in this group were administered five mg/kg of Dexamethasone.
- First SGYF group – The rats in the first SGYF group were given 70 milligrams of the formula for each kilogram of their body weight per day.
- Second SGYF group – These rats were given 420?mg/kg/d of SGYF.
- Third SGFY group – The rats in the third SGYF group were administered 850?mg/kg/d of the formula.
During the course of the study, the researchers recorded the effects of SGYF on the rat models’ body weight and lung index. The researchers histologically assessed lung injury and fibrosis in the rats by staining lung tissue specimens with hematoxylin and eosin (HE) and Masson trichrome.
|Discover how to prevent and reverse heart disease (and other cardio related events) with this free ebook: Written by popular Natural News writer Vicki Batt, this book includes everything you need to know about preventing heart disease, reversing hypertension, and nurturing your cardiac health without medication. Learn More.|
The researchers also measured the body weight and lung index of the six random groups. The team also took note of the concentrations of monoamine (MAO) and transforming growth factor-beta 1(TGF-beta 1) in rat lung homogenates.
Based on data from the study, SGYF helped minimize bleomycin-induced weight loss and the lung index of the rats. Histological evidence verified that SGYF can reduce lung fibrosis and consolidation. The TCM formula also decreased MAO and TGF-beta 1 activity in rat lung tissue.
The scientists believe that SGYF can be used to prevent lung damage or other interstitial lesions in individuals with cancer who use bleomycin.
What are Shenge Yangfei Capsules?
Shenge Yangfei Capsules (SGYF) is an herbal formula. The remedy is made using five herbs:
- Cordyceps (Cordyceps sinensis) – Cordyceps, commonly called caterpillar fungus, is used in TCM to dissolve phlegm, enhance kidney yang, invigorate the lung to relieve breathing difficulties, and stop bleeding.
- Gecko – Unlike the other ingredients, gecko is derived from an animal. Some of the uses and indications of gecko include asthma and cough caused by a lung-kidney deficiency, blood vomiting, consumptive cough, diabetes, frequent urination, kidney-deficiency induced impotence, and spermatorrhea.
- Ginseng Radix (Panax quinquefolius) – Ginseng Radix, also called American ginseng, usually manifests its therapeutic actions in the heart, kidney, and lung meridians.
- Notoginseng Radix (Panax notoginseng) – In TCM, Notoginseng Radix is used to promote blood circulation, release blood stasis, relieve pain, and stop bleeding.
- Tendrilled Fritillaria Bulb (Fritillariae Cirrhosae Bulbus) – In TCM, Fritillariae Cirrhosae Bulbus is used to clear heat, dissolve phlegm, moisten the lungs, and stop a cough.
Read more articles about other studies on remedies derived from traditional Chinese medicine at NaturalCures.news.